• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice Paper in Orlando

Tonyy13

Rice Paper in Orlando, we have to talk. I was not impressed two weeks ago when I stopped in for lunch and left without ordering, or recently, when I went in for dinner alone against my best judgement. Not only was I greeted about five minutes after I walked in the door, there was no one in the dining room, and it was trashed. It looked like several larger parties had just left, but who knows, the messy tables stayed for my almost 40 minute adventure. I ordered the soft spring roll, they call is summer roll. It was alright, but not an economically sound choice for the portion given. The crispy was better sized, but tasted of moldy and old potatoes. I don't think that was the intention either. I oreded pho with the fixings for my entree, and I was again, dissapointed. My soup was landed on the wrong table (there was only mine and a two top in the place), and I waited about 4 minutes for the plate of herbs and sprouts. During my wait for the herbs, my meat in the soup overcooked, and I fished out the "meatballs" that I had asked be omitted from the order. What a bad meal. Scott Joseph just reviewed it not to long go, if I am not mistaken, and he said it was ok. (it might have been the Orlando Weekly, but I am pretty sure it was the Sentinel). This was horrible, and I will not be back. Anyone else been there? Hope your experience was better than mine.

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I have never heard of this place. When I first saw the title of your topic, I thought you were looking for a source for buying rice paper, to make spring or summer rolls, and I was all ready to tell you where I get mine! :laugh:

Too bad about your experience.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

We go there every once in awhile - we're just happy to have a Vietnamese option without having to go downtown to the ViMi area and figure out where to park. I've found that Rice Paper is consistent with the other Vietnamese options in town, maybe with a little more "upscale" to its menu and a nicer dining room, but a slightly higher price point too. The soft shell crabs are particularly good. It is usually empty when we're there, but it has always been clean. The service is ok, but jeez it's a cheap place, I find the quality of service right in line with the prices and the ethnic angle.

Anyway, I've heard good things about Lac Viet (sp?) in downtown, they feature Northern Vietnamese food (whereas most other places are South Vietnamese) and their quality is supposed to be higher than the other downtown options. Haven't tried it myself yet.

Hey Tony, do you ever actually ENJOY a meal out? :wink: You always seem so cranky :biggrin: Perhaps you should stick to mac n cheese :raz:

Hey Tony, do you ever actually ENJOY a meal out?  You always seem so cranky  Perhaps you should stick to mac n cheese 

Lol... Yes, I do enjoy a meal out every now and again, I am just happy not to have to cook it!! In all seriousness, it is hard to go out to eat and be impressed with a dinner, or even just be content. This is a business which is hard, but also very easy. When I go out to eat, I expect to recieve the level of food/service/etc. to which I am dining. If I go to the nicest place in town, I expect the best food, the best service, the best wine, and the biggest prices. If I go to Taco Bell (a nasty habbit, I know), I expect it to be quick, hot, and somewhat tasty, and I expect to get what I order. That is all. I do not expect any culinary genious out of fast food, family places. I expect a good meal for what I am paying. I do not think that my expectations are high, just dissapointed with the local food scene down here. I miss Providence, I can't beleive that I am saying that, but I do, because I could go to East Side Pockets and get fallafel that was hot and quick, or Parragon Cafe and get food that was hot, somewhat quick, in a nice atmosphere for not too much money, but decent service; I could go to New Rivers and get great food, culinary genious, I could dress it up or down depending on my mood, and I got great service. I can't find that in Orlando, although I am trying really hard....

BTW, I have been thinking about that Primo Pizza all week..... :biggrin:

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I do not think that my expectations are high, just dissapointed with the local food scene down here.  I miss Providence, I can't beleive that I am saying that, but I do, because I could go to East Side Pockets and get fallafel that was hot and quick, or Parragon Cafe and get food that was hot, somewhat quick, in a nice atmosphere for not too much money, but decent service; I could go to New Rivers and get great food, culinary genious, I could dress it up or down depending on my mood, and I got great service.  I can't find that in Orlando, although I am trying really hard....

And Providence misses you right back, Tony!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts