• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1 Table Restaurant

Another question....

I'm sure fairly recently that I saw a double page spread on a restuarant in the midlands that only has one table and one chef, he does a set menu for the whole table. This was featured in either Restuarant Magazine of The Caterer.

Anyone remember this? Or has anyone been? What was it like? Link?

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Another question....

I'm sure fairly recently that I saw a double page spread on a restuarant in the midlands that only has one table and one chef, he does a set menu for the whole table. This was featured in either Restuarant Magazine of The Caterer.

Anyone remember this? Or has anyone been? What was it like? Link?

There was a restaurant years ago that was run by a French couple (him in kitchen and her in restaurant) that was either one or two tables and a no choice set menu (and I'm racking my brains here) and it was in their family home. Their surname was Astic and their daughter, Marie Regine, was AWT's PA at the time. A search on Google brings up very little and bearing in mind this was 1994, my memory's not as good as it was! It wasn't in the Midlands, per se, but somewhere in Gloucestershire and I think it was near Cheltenham. May or may not still be going.

My Google skills are improving! The Astics are now at The Old Woolhouse in Northleach, Cheltenham. Don't know if it's the same place they were in when I knew their daughter, but at least I got the town right!

PS: Nice spacehopper, Kaffirlime! :wink:

Thanks Newsgirl!

On a (sort of) related topic (in that it's just as quirky as a one table restaurant) there is a Thai restaurant in Birmingham called Siam which is run by daughter front of house and mother (who must be approaching 80) cooking in the kitchen. They do have several tables and even do an a la carte menu but you can't choose of the menu on the night. The required form is to check the menu on their website and email your order no later than 24 hours beforehand! That must make for brilliant stock control and you would think, with twenty four hours notice of what's required the chef would be able to come up with some pretty special dishes. Unfortunately on the one occasion I ate there I had the second worst Thai meal i've ever eaten (for anyone who is interested the honour of providing the worst meal goes to Bann Thai in Hagley).

Thats the one Dipardoo! Thanks for that, have you ever been?

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

doesnt look that hot to me, the samples menus are pretty dull. as for 'the best restaurant in derbyshire' not sure about that either!

Was just thinkin' the same thing! Looks like it's stuck in a timewarp. One course for £15 and 3 courses for £25? 'I'll have the soup, please' That'll be £15, sir. Err, no it won't.

"a totally new concept has been conceived out of frustration and a desire to develop food that does not conform to the normal paradigms"

It sounds terrifying. On the whole, I think I'd prefer my food to conform to normal paradigms if at all possible.

I also don't understand how you can have a hotel with 10 bedrooms and a dining room that seats a maximum of 8 guests.

stuffed breast of some kind of bird (which most of the menus seem to include) is if anything conforming to the normal paradigms..... maybe too normal.

i've been thinking about going on a cookery course for a while now, but looking at a menu like that i think i could teach the chef a thing or two, rather than pay him £200 + for him to pass on his skills

Astounding, whilst I am not one to belittle anyone this is one of the saddest gimmicks I have ever seen, if this is the best in Derbyshire then is there no-where else to eat in derbyshire?

you have to show pity here................

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

"a totally new concept has been conceived out of frustration and a desire to develop food that does not conform to the normal paradigms"

It sounds terrifying. On the whole, I think I'd prefer my food to conform to normal paradigms if at all possible.

I also don't understand how you can have a hotel with 10 bedrooms and a dining room that seats a maximum of 8 guests.

On 'perusing' his site, some of his menus are downright offensive (and not cheap) and yes, how do ten couples staying for dinner and occupying every room manage to find somewhere to sit? Wife on hubby's lap, perhaps? Tag-team dining?

chesterfield isn't really a place known for high end dining, but anywhere that can charge £280 per head for dinner (even if it is made out of platinum) needs to have cooking a little more accomplished than seems to be on offer here.

and dont get me started on those guest rooms, cheapo b&b anyone?

derbyshire has some very fine places to eat, this isn't one of them

how do ten couples staying for dinner and occupying every room manage to find somewhere to sit? Wife on hubby's lap, perhaps? Tag-team dining?

their room service is incredible

"Wife on hubby's lap, perhaps?"

seems rather sexist

"Tag-team dining?"

that's more like it