• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickling leeks

FaustianBargain

I buy jarred pickled leeks on Argyle Street - they're labeled Cu Kieu Chua Ngot (forgive me for omitting the accents and other assorted marks). The ingredient lists Leeks, sugar, salt, citric acid, water, and some assorted preservatives that you wouldn't need doing it at home (although I can also see a hot red pepper in there that isn't declared on the ingredient statement). I imagine it wouldn't be different from pickling any other veggies - cut 'em up, rinse 'em, soak 'em in the pickling liquid (using sea salt and maybe a touch of alum for a firmer texture), maybe can 'em if you want to keep them a long time.

thanks. how are the pickled leeks cut? as rings?

I was wondering about the 'gelatinous' nature of leeks. I dont know if there is another term for the gooeyness leeks give out a while after they are cut. Would that make a difference while pickling?

I buy jarred pickled leeks on Argyle Street - they're labeled Cu Kieu Chua Ngot (forgive me for omitting the accents and other assorted marks). The ingredient lists Leeks, sugar, salt, citric acid, water, and some assorted preservatives that you wouldn't need doing it at home (although I can also see a hot red pepper in  there that isn't declared on the ingredient statement). I imagine it wouldn't be different from pickling any other veggies - cut 'em up, rinse 'em, soak 'em in the pickling liquid (using sea salt and maybe a touch of alum for a firmer texture), maybe can 'em if you want to keep them a long time.

Koreans pickle scallion tops in sweetened vinegar, the result is very crispy/crunchy. We also pickle young scallions in the much the same as napa cabbage, I don't see why you couldn't pickle leeks using either of the methods I mentioned above.

The sort of leeks I find in American supermarkets are huge, with quite a bit of dirt inside. So the have to thoroughly washed in between. But at the Korean market there are leeks that are somewhere between the size of a scallion and an "American" leek. The flavor is milder than the "Ameican" ones. These also have very long green parts. I am almost sure that they are available at Japanese markets. I would recommend this type.

Can someone provide me with a bonofide (with ingredient quantities etc) recipe for this, please?

What type of leeks do you get where you are?

havent a clue, but they are definitely 'thinner' than american leeks. they seem quite tender. someone mentioned that they are probably grown in greenhouses.

Edited by FaustianBargain (log)

they are definitely 'thinner' than american leeks. they seem quite tender. someone mentioned that they are probably grown in greenhouses.

The jarred ones I get are also thinner than most leeks I see in markets here - cut into about 1" lengths, sliced as cylinders, and white parts only. I imagine they're probably blanched before pickling. I don't have a specific recipe - I'd just try something, and if it doesn't work, try something different next time.

2 tbsp. coarse salt

1 1/2 c. white vinegar

1/3 c. sugar

That's a basic vinegar based pickling solution.

To that you can add spices. There's a standard mix called "pickling spices" in America, I've never tried it, don't care too. Or you can a range of other things such as garlic, dried hot peppers, bay leaves, whole spices.

Is this too vague for you or is it enough for you to fly with?