• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

National Corndog Day

chappie

http://www.corndogday.com/

My friend just informed me that Saturday is National Corndog Day. I don't think I'll be able to make it to any of the registered Corndog Day parties, but I'll fry up a poor man's beef Wellington in tribute anyway.

I really like this:

"It is of great honor on NCD to complete the perhaps not so aptly named, “triple-double.” If over the course of National Corndog Day, at an official NCD party, you consume 10 corndogs, 10 beers, and 10 "units" of tater tots (100 tots total) you have achieved the notorious “triple-double.” It is a feat that has been seldom accomplished. For those a little wary of being able to complete the "triple-double," completing a "double-double" (choose which two) is also still a respectable feat."

Quadruple double might involve ten strips of bacon wrapped around the corndogs, or ten Tastykakes.

The promotion posters from previous years are a hoot and a half! :laugh:

Thanks for the links.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Those posters are hysterical.

For those who may not remember, I have a checkered past with corndogs. It all started here and just got progressively stranger. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 9 months later...

All is too quiet on the National Corndog Day front, being that it is a mere two or so months away. The site still refers to Corndog Day 2005 as being right around the corner, and I got no response to an inquisitive email I send last week.

This year I vow to either make one of the D.C. parties or host an Eastern Shore one. And I will complete the triple-double; you can bank on it.

• 2 months later...

It is 3:55 a.m. and I not only completed a double-double of 10 (or 12 or 13) cans of cheap beer (Shaefer) and 10 Foster Farms corndogs, but around 2:30 or so we got a second wind and fired up another corndog from the crates the party hosts gave away. They're so f**king good the 11th goes down and smooth as the first. The triple-double eluded me, however. I had imagined the tater tots to be the easiest component (besides beer), but I only ended up eating 24 of them. Tiny heartburn grenades x100.

Already I am planning a Corndog Day party next year for the Eastern Shore. I want referees and much more hearty corndoggery, less half-hearted socializing, more gristle and gnaw. Less networking, more heroic corndog chanting.