• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue around Austin per the Washington Post

DTBarton

Actually, it is not a bad list. You need to check out a copy of Robb Walsh's book "Legends of Texas Barbecue" for additional names. Some that are missing that I know of are Stubb's, the Salt Lick and Black's. The Austin Chronicle has had several articles on good barbecue within an hour of Austin. The following is a list from 2000.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

Actually, it is not a bad list.  You need to check out a copy of Robb Walsh's book "Legends of Texas Barbecue" for additional names.  Some that are missing that I know of are Stubb's, the Salt Lick and Black's.  The Austin Chronicle has had several articles on good barbecue within an hour of Austin. The following is a list from 2000.

Thanks, LD

I just came back from Austin and an investment of considerable energy in the BBQ hunt.

A few obvious places missing from this list would be...

City Market in Luling, many argue this is the best in the Austin area, or possibly Texas.

In Lockhart, Blacks.

In Austin proper, there is a pretty good consensus on Iron Works (downtown next to the convention center) as being the best in-town.

Also, The Salt Lick. gets lots of media attention, but among the locals there are lots of detractors for TSL. I hit it last year and enjoyed it, but I'd exhaust Lockhart and Luling first.

And by the way, there is plenty of bad barbeque around, so go with a list of places to hit.

always looking forward to...the next meal

I do not like the Salt Lick, at least not for the Q. The ambience is exactly what a great Texas bbq joint/ranch is suppose to be but the food, overall, was really disappointing. Luling City Market, for me, is the best brisket I've had anywhere. Cooper's in Llano is outstanding also. For ribs I actually liked the original County Line on the hill. Not for brisket but ribs. The last time I was in Lockhart Kreuz had the original owners but even then I preferred City Market.

• 1 month later...

We'll be in Austin in a couple of weeks. Had a random meeting with a salesperson from Austin today (at my optician's office in Florida). He said his favorite in Austin is County Line on Route 2222. He also recommended Baby Acapulco for Mexican. We've never been to Austin before - so any and all comments are appreciated. Robyn

As a droning ex-pat of Lockhart, I must say Smitty's has the best overall: fat and lean brisket, definitely the best pork chops, and sausage for now with crackers, or breakfast links for later. Kreuz still lays claim to the best slice of prime rib, but only before noon. Black's has the best ribs and sides.

Now we're in the suburbs and everything tastes the same; not like when you could tell where lunch came from based on the color of butcher paper it was wrapped in.