• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prawn crackers

jackal10

I found my dough was too soft to keep the cylindrical shape. Next time, I would definitely try for something stiffer.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Perhaps this is a bit strange...but could you crumble the prawn crackers and add what you like and use them as a breading for various dishes?

you probably could crush up the dried pieces into breadcrumb sized bits and then use it as a coating. But remember that the crackers need a pretty hot oil to puff up and expand properly if the oil is not hot enough you will end up with small and pretty chewy crackers. What ever you are coating had better be already cooked or the cracker bits will burn very quickly.

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

:laugh: just fried off my first prawn crackers pretty damn good

although think mine were just a little too salty for my liking. :raz:

will post photos later.

Now i'm thinking of making some with additions of a little chilli, more garlic, lemon grass, ginger, soya, sugar, sesame?

but i'm also thinking what will happen if i use different flour? rice flour? potato flour? wheat? what about different blends of flour? different texture?

as promised here are the pics.

gallery_18280_734_22127.jpg

gallery_18280_734_27238.jpg

gallery_18280_734_39447.jpg

hmmm think next batch i will use less salt and back them bigger.

but they are yummy all the same

like really good crackling :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
These are amazing

You can say that again! I made a half recipe with shrimp and can't believe how well they turned out.

I'm going to bring some out when I visit my nephews, thinking that it's a good thing for them to have a snack with no added chemicals, etc. The older one is looking forward to trying them, but the picky younger one (he's 8), doesn't do shrimp. We discussed alternatives, and he's comfortable with carrots and chicken. Indulgent aunt that I am, I have a batch of carrot-flavored chips underway, and can't see the harm in trying with cooked chicken. It occurred to me that the sugar content of the carrots could cause problems in the frying. Thoughts? Alternative suggestions?

The proportions given were fine with the shrimp, but I had to add additional flour to the carrot version because of the higher moisture content. I grated them with the microplane and I suppose I could have squeezed some of the juice out, but decided to add them as is. I couldn't be bothered to get my food processor out of storage, but found working it by hand was fine, if a little tricky. I steamed the cylinders in the top of my rice cooker and dried the slices in a low oven.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Jack :smile:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Glad you enjoy the recipe.Please let us know how you get on with the carrot version. I've made a potato version, as a sort of chip variation.

I wouldn't think the sugar will be a problem - they aren't in the hot oil long enough to brown.

• 10 years later...

Not homemade shrimp chips but an easy way to prepare these delicious chips....microwave.

I broke them in half and microwaved on full power (1250 watt machine) for 25 seconds.  The picture below shows them starting puff from the middle in the microwave.

No fat and tasting almost as good as making them in oil.  I figure around 65 kcal per half chip.DSC01271.thumb.jpg.d7d7ee6d0407853e118fe

DSC01272.thumb.jpg.a247e2d891cf2a8c34fba

DSC01269.thumb.jpg.67c60d9dba30efab3bfc2

DSC01267.thumb.jpg.02d9290dfef9dcf9e262e

DSC01270.thumb.jpg.67cae1bf83d86cedc5e92

• Like 2