• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick trip to Vancouver

I am to be in Vancouver (from Courtenay) April 1-3 on a quick business trip to attend the Bakery Congress trade show on Sunday, April 3. On the Friday, my plan is to get to suppliers of bakery equipment and small wares that will be closed Saturday, but I know I have to be super organized to optimize my time here. I want to look at ovens and try to find some used bread pans. So far, my list of possibilities includes Nicholson's and Lockwoods, relatively close to each other in Burnaby, and Russells Restaurant Supply. Any other suggestions?

On Saturday and Sunday morning, Famous Foods and Galloway's are on my list as well as a look at Granville South and along West Fourth. Is Ming Wo's still the place for all the kitchen stuff you don't need and if so, which is the best one — it used to be Chinatown.

It's six or seven years since I've been in Vancouver, after living there for more than 10, so I'm looking forward to seeing what's going on ... but I really feel like the country mouse planning a visit to the big city!

(A couple of the threads have mentioned Gourmet Warehouse — is that Carin McSherry's place?)

Cheers, Susan

I'd start off in Yaletown by visiting Barbara's-Jo's Books to Cooks then walk around the corner to Urban Fare supermarket then off on the Aqua bus to Granville Island. From there jump in a cab or bus and head up to South Granville street for lunch at Rangoli and a quick peek into Meinhardt's.

Have fun.

Stephen

oops sorry wrong thread!!

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 1 month later...
I'd start off in Yaletown by visiting Barbara's-Jo's Books to Cooks then walk around the corner to Urban Fare supermarket then off on the Aqua bus to Granville Island. From there jump in a cab or bus and head up to South Granville street for lunch at Rangoli and a quick peek into Meinhardt's.

Arggghhh. Our Urban Fare closed a couple of months ago so it makes me sad when I think that Vancouver has both Urban Fare and Meinhardt's! Sorry, I don't have anything useful to contribute - I'm just on an "I Love Meinhardt's" kick.

Your plan is sound-after all these years I still prefer the Chinatown Ming Wo-service however is hit 'n miss.

W 4th has gone to the dogs literally.

What with a puppy store, a dog bakery-I'm not making this up-and unspeakable amounts of idiotic mutts who's upkeep consumes more cash than many developing world families-all strolling along a soulless strip of high end stores 4th is now eminently missable.

BTW-I've lived within a block of 4th for 25+ years now.

Gourmet Warehouse-a thinly disguised high end food retailer tucked away in an east end warehouse.

Low rent+high markup=underwhelming IMO.

The goods on sale are all overpriced, the condiments carefully selected for maximum markup-the ceramic ware all a better deal @ Daiso-give it a miss.

Famous Foods has expanded and may offer something of interest-many drygoods/foodstuffs appear old/shopworn some decent deals @ times.

Actually - I would like to get some guidance on sourcing some baking stuff. I want to get the jelly roll type of baking sheet that comes with matching grid type rack. You know the kind of pan that bakers use to glaze things on - the grid letting the excess run off.

I would use the pan also to dry age some steaks, drain fried foods, and perhas even bake with the rack to keep food elevated. I went to the cookshop at City Square (just across from Safeway) which I think is a pretty comprehensively stocked store.

They had pans and cooling racks sold separately - but the guy behind the counter good enough to tell me that the cooling racks would not be able to take baking - so I would need something heavier duty. I went to Cookworks, Gourmet Warehouse (where I have never been able to find anything really useful - and pricey!) and Linen n' Things - no luck.

Can anyone shed any light on places to get serious baking stuff?

(Sorry to ride on your coat-tails - Just Loafing)