• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexpensive French eateries

Pan

OK, this is only my second post, but I've recently been to Rene Pujol on 51st street west.  I think it's between 8th and 9th avenues, but not sure.  It offers only prix-fixe for lunch and dinner.  I'm not sure how much lunch is, but I think the dinner is $44.  As I said in another post, I don't remember any limitations on ordering.  Everything on the menu is included.  There may be additional charges for some desserts.  I just remember remarking that a rack of lamb was the same as grey sole, so I was impressed not only by the price, but by the quality of the food.  There's another old-time French restaurant on the same block, but it did not look as appealing as Pujol and I don't remember the name.

I'd like to hear back on what other people that have dined at Pujol think of it.

Rene Pujol has been in its 51st St. location (yes, it's betw. 8th & 9th Aves.) for about 50 years, and the second generation of Pujols is now in charge. You are correct about the quality of the food. We have dined there off and on over the years, and the food has always been excellent. The menu, which has been updated, now includes both classics and modern/creative dishes.

The prix-fixe lunch is $24 and, as you said, the dinner prix-fixe is $44. However, unlike at lunch, the dinner price is definitely not inclusive of every menu item. In fact, when we had dinner there a few months ago, I remarked to my husband that there were many appetizers and main course dishes that carried a substantial supplement. You can see the menus on Rene Pujol's new website. Note that they list a rack of lamb for two @$105.

OOPs, I checked, you're right Rozzap. This was my first post on the board and I'm giving bad info (smacks self). I must have been drinking too much "vin" that night. I do remember that there was a lot of variety (as opposed to just the two or three choices most restaurants offer). I also thought the quality was pretty darned good. I sit corrected but stand by my recommendation. It's a lot cheaper than a lot of other French restaurants of comparable quality.