• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day

scottie

We're going to Fearrington House!

I'm so excited! :wub:

I know Valentine's is not the best time to truly experience a restaurant's best service, atmosphere or food, but you have to go somewhere, and when hubby told me he had made reservations for Fearrington House, who was I to say no?

I will post a report.

So, where y'all going?

We're eating in. After the little one goes to bed, we'll be having cheese fondue followed by chocolate-covered strawberries. And champagne. Easier than fighting the crowds and trying to get a babysitter...and we don't have to drive home!

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Us? We're eating at my in-laws for the next week!

Nothing quite brings out family love and harmony like a whopping kitchen remodelling! :laugh: and I rather suspect that the dinner at Crooks probably qualified as an appropriate Valentines gift to Mrs. Varmint from your rapturous descriptions ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

We're eating in.  After the little one goes to bed, we'll be having cheese fondue followed by chocolate-covered strawberries.  And champagne.  Easier than fighting the crowds and trying to get a babysitter...and we don't have to drive home!

That sounds wonderful. I love fondue, something about it is quite romantic. And you're right about the drive! I'm not looking forward to that... I tried to get a guy at my work who has a nice car to drive us there and back (for $50 bucks), but he's got better things to do... :raz:

No, we are not spending the night. That would be nice, esp. since our reservations are for 9pm :unsure:, but the meal itself already far exceeds the weekly budget around here. Oh, well, someday!

We had a lovely dinner at the Charlotte location of Noble's.

For me - Pan Seared Foie Gras with Truffle Crostini, Petite Salad & Mushroom Demi Glace as a starter followed by Wood Grilled Atlantic Salmon w/Roasted & Sautéed Vegetables, Yukon Gold Potato Puree, Smoked Tomato Beurre Blanc and Dill Butter

For the SO, fried oysters followed by Oven Roasted Long Island Duck Two Ways, Sweet Potato Brulee with Pear, Orange & Bitter Green Salad, Orange Duck Sauce. The sweet potato brulee was sublime.

Dessert: Warm Chocolate Cake

Vanilla Gelato and Chocolate Ganache

Excellent service - all the food was very good

We learned several years ago that ethnic dining was not the ideal Valentine's Day meal for many. We have had wonderful meals and service at Cajun, Thai, etc. with no crowds to fight - and no inflated menu pricing. Last night we went to a pleasant little Mexican restaurant in the neighborhood. My wife had an enchilada plate - one each of beef, chicken, cheese and bean. I ordered a full rack of BBQ ribs. This is the only Mexican restaurant I have seen in metro Atlanta with BBQ ribs available - and I certainly never saw them in New Mexico, where I grew up. Just the same, they were as good as or better than several traditional BBQ establishments around here. The big plus was that, as expected, less than half of the tables were occupied so we were able to linger after we finished dining. There's no bum's rush when tables are available.