• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pathmark - West Orange - CLOSING?

SueWho321

Was reading the ad for this week's Pathmark sales, and the one that came in the mail has an overwrap indicating that the West Orange Pathmark has lost its lease.

Any plans for another grocery store in that location? I hope they clean it up, I liked the former 24 hour opening, but the place had a "cramped and dirty " feel to it.

I heard that Sears was coming into that mall.

The Kmart (formerly Caldors (formerly E. J. Korvettes)) was bought by Sears pre-merger and is being converted to a Sears Essential store.

What is a Sears Essential Store? What about the business located between KMart and Pathmark? I think there may be a liquor sore or an eyeglass place?

How about someone buys the whole building and builds a Target or Lowes??

I know there were plans to raze the existing Pathmark building and move it to the other side of the parking lot replacing the STS tire center but was not approved because of the proximity to all the new houses. What about the Rag Shop and Staples?

What is a Sears Essential Store? What about the business located between KMart and Pathmark?  I think there may be a liquor sore or an eyeglass place?

Sears Essentials is an off-mall store that "will offer Sears' product categories that are integral to

home and family life, such as appliances, lawn and garden, tools, electronics,

apparel, and home fashions along with routinely purchased convenience items,

such as health and beauty, pantry, household and paper products, pet supplies,

and toys."

What is a Sears Essential Store? What about the business located between KMart and Pathmark?  I think there may be a liquor sore or an eyeglass place?

Sears Essentials is an off-mall store that "will offer Sears' product categories that are integral to

home and family life, such as appliances, lawn and garden, tools, electronics,

apparel, and home fashions along with routinely purchased convenience items,

such as health and beauty, pantry, household and paper products, pet supplies,

and toys."

In other words, it's a drugstore without the pharmacy. :laugh:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

According to:

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/essex/index....62091370240.xml

(Pathmark article is the second article)

Pathmark closing after 29-year run

WEST ORANGE: The Pathmark supermarket in West Orange will close its doors on Feb. 25, after nearly 30 years selling groceries in the township.

...company spokesman Rich Savner said the 40,000-square-foot store space was no longer large enough to accommodate the supermarket chain's needs or compete with the larger ShopRite supermarket down the street.

... pharmacy has closed and he said that shelves will be sparse for the next week as the store tries to unload its remaining stock.

Township officials said they are working with the shopping center's landlord to bring in a new business to take Pathmark's place, preferably another supermarket. One retailer being discussed is Whole Foods Market, a Texas-based supermarket chain specializing in natural and organic foods.

Township officials said they are working with the shopping center's landlord to bring in a new business to take Pathmark's place, preferably another supermarket. One retailer being discussed is Whole Foods Market, a Texas-based supermarket chain specializing in natural and organic foods.

A Whole Foods would be great there for me, as it would be so convenient, but I can't believe that they'd put a Whole Foods at that location. There's already one on Bloomfield Ave, in Montclair and Millburn Ave in Millburn. They'd be competing with themselves.

Then again, if the Home Depot can do it...

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)