• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clear Glass Bottles

nr706

My guess is that some marketing consultant told them that it looks "classy" or "unique" and would result in greater sales.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

As a marketing consultant, I doubt that's the reason. And I believe they've been doing it for decades, if not centuries - well before anyone with any self-esteem would have labeled him/herself a "marketing consultant."

I wonder the same thing about certain olive oil bottlers.

But in both cases, it lets you see just how appetizing the product looks, & has certainly gotten me to buy some. I just make sure it remains in a dark place when I get it home except while in use.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Samuel Smith's is not alone; a number of the other English brewers also bottle their beers in clear bottles despite all evidence of the dangers of doing so.

...and I can't remember one clear glass English beer I've had that hasn't been skunked to some degree, so I've stopped buying beer in clear (and green) glass.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Regardless, I've never had a bad bottle of Sammy's, have you?

(Sorry, just noticed john pretty much just said that he has--for me, every Taddy Porter is just as perfect as the next.)

Edited by babyluck (log)

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Regardless, I've never had a bad bottle of Sammy's, have you?

(Sorry, just noticed john pretty much just said that he has--for me, every Taddy Porter is just as perfect as the next.)

That was kind of the point of my original question - a lot of their beers I've had have a bit skunky. And they're not cheap beers. I store my beers in the dark, but obviously I have no control over how much light the stuff is exposed to before it gets to me. And most of the places I buy it have it under fairly bright fluorescent lights.

But then, on the rare occasion I get Heinekin, I avoid the green bottles and go only for cans - those bottles get skunky, too.