• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sur La Table comes to Manhattan

bloviatrix

Crain's reports that Sur La Table will be opening their first Manhattan store in July at 75 Spring Street.

The chain has one other NY outpost in Manhasset.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Across the street from the Museum of Modern Art SoHo store, diagonally across the street from Balthazar and two blocks away from Dean and Delucca.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Would anyone like to give some description of this establishment for those of us who know little or nothing about it?

http://www.surlatable.com/

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

They sell a set of cool little measuring spoons marked Dash, Pinch & Smidgen.

They're actually very handy if you're on a low-salt diet.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I've only been to the original in Seattle, but in my experience Sur La Table, if I may, is like the ABC Carpet of cooking stores. There's fabulous stuff EVERYWHERE, like a fairy wonderland for food people. If you don't get the ABC Carpet reference, though, I don't know if I can describe the magic :wub:

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

Would anyone like to give some description of this establishment for those of us who know little or nothing about it?

If the store in New York is anything like the stores I've been to elsewhere - it's fabulous. Much more stuff than Williams Sonoma. Kind of like Broadway Panhandler - but a more spacious layout (although that might not be true in Manhattan). If - on your trips to Soho - you always have to allow 1 hour for poking through all the stuff at Broadway Panhandler - even if you don't need anything - you'll now have to allow 2 (one for Broadway Panhandler and 1 for Sur La Table).

By the way - I've been to a few commercial kitchen places in Manhattan - and they're better than the retail places - but the neighborhoods they're in are usually pretty dreary - no match for an afternoon shopping in Soho. Robyn

Real Estate Weekly reports that the Sur La Tabla, the Seatlle-based culinary retailer, has signed a lease for 10,000 sq. ft of space at 75 Spring Street. This will be Sur La Table's first store in Manhattan.