• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Fish Stores in Vancouver

"...There's a new (about a year I think) shop on Hastings a block and a bit east of Nanaimo (north side) that has a small selection of very fresh fish. I've bot both halibut and Salmon there 8 or 10 times and it's been very good. Cheaper than Granville Island by a couple of bucks a pound. I gather their first choce for locations was going to be Commercial drive but rent was way too much!..."

I can almost see that place from my house. I've bought fish there too and was pleased. However, I like to buy whole fish and my favorite place, Chong Lee on E. Hastings, is gone (grumble, grumble). T&T on 1st is good, too.

I've heard there's a place off of Dollartan HWY just east of the bridge that's supposed to be good...I think it's just called the fish house or something like that...sound familiar to anybody?

bimbojones

7 seas on W4th is not a bad bet. Their quality is pretty decent if you ask to see the fish you like the look of. Avoid Granville Island unless you are willing to pay way more for equal to lesser quality.

Ciao

Adesso Chef

Adesso Chef

Travis Williams

Executive Chef

www.adessobistro.com

I just spoke with a friend who said he was at the Crab Shack not two months ago over the holidays so they must be up and running again. That's good news! I'll go check 'em out for sure. I also get fish at Fujiya - Clark & Venables(?). Most fish is cut for sushi or sashimi but you can also get marinated fish, mackerel, eel, ect., I picked up a package of salmon pieces w/skin (trimmings?). Great to bbq or grill with some terriaki sauce...mmmm, over rice!

bimbojones

anyone ever buy off the boats at fisherman's wharf?

I buy stuff there all the time usually very good,stay away from the indian candy, get that at seven seas on 4th. The oyster boat from denman island is always at the docks and have great oysters, stop by go fish and have a bite on a nice day, try the oyster po boy. Oh ya heres a secret, get fresh crab there during the season, just ask around when the boats come in and you can get a great deal.

Interesting...

The last  time I bought salmon there the guy told me a whole story where he caught it, etc. I wonder if this is part of the illusion or is there something else going on here.

It doesn't make too much sense since Go Fish prides itself on buying straight off the fishermen, presumably the guys down at the wharf.

Weird is all I can say.

hmmm the plot thickens. Gord Martin (Go Fish, Bins 941,942) told me that he buys salmon fresh from the boats just a few steps from his shack. A private eye may be required.

I believe you're referring to the Crab Shack, which indeed was a very good source. Unfortunately gutted by fire last fall. see thread: Crab Shack Gutted

Hopefully they'll reopen again in the not too distant future.

Went over to the Crab Shack today and it seems to be closed. Still see black charred wood around a window. Too bad.

bimbojones

I believe you're referring to the Crab Shack, which indeed was a very good source. Unfortunately gutted by fire last fall. see thread: Crab Shack Gutted

Hopefully they'll reopen again in the not too distant future.

Went over to the Crab Shack today and it seems to be closed. Still see black charred wood around a window. Too bad.

Sorry didn't see the other post

Baconburnt

• 4 weeks later...
Last time we were at Go Fish we watched with some astonishment as a reefer truck with a Surrey address on the side pulled up and began delivering boxes of frozen fish to the boats selling fish at the so called "Fisherman's Wharf". So don't think the stuff you buy there is caught by the people that sell it to you. Yet another illusion shattered.

I just wanted to ressurect this one because I think the fishermen there at False Creek may have been unfairly represented. According to Don Genova, they used to be able to sell only whole fish, but the regulations were changed to allow them to sell parts. However, this has to be processed at licensed facilities. This would explain the trucks pulling up delivering with seafood from Surrey. :huh: I've never actually bought from them so I can't say either way, but thought I'd throw that out there.

James