• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese New Year Banquet Menu

Gastro888

This is what I always thought a Kay Po was.  Am I incorrect?  If so, break out the "gai mo sow"!   :laugh:

I don't think the dress in the picture is a Kay Po. Kay Po doesn't buckle up in the front. Rather, it's on the right hand side. Also, Kay Po is a one piece dress. You can, of course, wear a coat or mink or leopard skin or something on top. :hmmm:

This one is Kay Po.

"gai mo sow": which end of the gai mo sow are you holding? :laugh:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Oh, hzrt8w, does that mean you're offering to buy me a mink? Wah, how sweet! "Doh jei!" hee hee.

So I guess the picture I have is a "Kaw". Hmm.

Shoot, "gai mo sow" is so practical. Clean your house with one end and disclipine your kids with the other. Multi functional tool.

I've been to Reading Terminal and it was a'rite. I want to try Pat and Geno's and see what the true Philly cheesesteak is like. I'll have to seriously think about coming up b/c after this weekend, I won't have a chance to come up prior to the banquet. But it is the weekend right after CNY and I know it's going to be CRAZY in all CT's.

Will post the menu this weekend, y'all. Gotta go see the manager. Hopefully she won't take advantage of this ABC. *sigh*

Shoot, "gai mo sow" is so practical.  Clean your house with one end and disclipine your kids with the other.  Multi functional tool. 

That goes to show that most Chinese are utilitarians! (ai ya, that's a big word for me. You gotta say it 3 times faster!)

OK, so pops and I were talking about the menu last night. He helped me figured out what I should pay for the menu so that I don't get taken advantage of at the restaurant. Hey, I'm not stupid - I know when people see an ABC come in, they think they can milk the cash cow 'cause we are unsure of how to do stuff.

Based on what I told him about the CNY menu the restaurant's doing (which is none...a la carte), Pops suggested that I do the following menu:

Pan Poon (traditional cold platter dish)

Golden Mushroom Soup

Suckling Pig

Roast Duck/Peking Duck

Sitr-Fried Snow Pea Shoots Stir Fried w/ Garlic

Steamed Black Cod Filet w/ Ginger and Garlic

Cantonese Fried Chicken

Lobster w/ Ginger & Scallions

Noodles

Fried Rice

Dessert - PCL, I'm scoping out the neen goh but if they don't have it, I'm going to make some. Hopefully I won't poison everyone.

Comments, feedback?

That would be cool beans, Uncle Ben!

I'm debating between Peking Duck and the Roast Duck. I know the peeps would like the Peking (heck, me too!) but the Roast Duck is so yummy. We do have "Jai Gee Gai" but hmm.

Ai ya! Crap, I'm wearing a cheongsam to this. *smacks forehead* This is going to involve some dieting prior so that I can eat at the banquet. (Or I could be extremely gauche and just bring some clothes to change into if I'm too full! hee hee) :laugh:

Man, how did our ancestors do this back in the day when all they HAD were cheongsams?!?! :huh:

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Our ancestors didn't eat at McDs, KFC, Krispy Kremes, Pizza Hut, etc. etc. :laugh::laugh:

And, they didn't have to sit behind a computer all day. Jeez plowing paddies behind a water buffalo in mud and leeches up to the hoohoo will sure take the pounds off.

So Gastro, find yourself a rice paddy in the DC/Va area and exercise your buffalo :rolleyes::raz:

Edited by Ben Hong (log)

Our ancestors didn't eat at McDs, KFC,  Krispy Kremes, Pizza Hut, etc. etc.  :laugh:  :laugh:

Gastro, You should have ordered one size larger in anticipation. :wink:

Hey, I didn't grow up on that stuff and I still am not a waif. :laugh: I ate Toisanese food!

I think it's cause everything's injected with hormones here.

Yeah, but a girl in a cheongsam that is too large looks odd. You know how the off the rack size goes. :raz:

Making the neen-goh from scratch? You're game!

For the record, I'm overloaded on the stuff already!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Going tomorrow or Sunday to finalize the menu! Will keep y'all posted. Now I have to do the party favors. I was thinking of getting some red chopsticks and putting a red bow around it.

The party favors are coming out of my pocket, not the group fund, so cost is a big factor (especially since last year we had 4 tables). I wanted to make it a special event for everyone so suggestions? Did I ask this before? If I did, apologies. I'm working on very lil' sleep here!

I was thinking-

Chopsticks

Small charms

Chopstick rests (can I give that out or is that bad luck?)

Candy in red netting

Finally! Here's the offical menu below. I am getting people party favors - lil' good luck charms on a string. Hopefully those (and my cheongsam!) will arrive in time. PCL, check it - we got some neen goh. Good luck charms, cheongsam AND neen goh - I get Chinese points, huh? hee hee.

I did cod filet (suet yee) b/c it's a tasty fish and everyone will enjoy it. I would do the whole fish instead but it's hard to find good flounder nowadays.

Traditional Chinese Cold plate which includes:

Jellyfish, pig's feet, cuttlefish, marinated flank steak and roast suckling pig

Golden Mushroom Seafood Corn Soup

Lobster Stir Fried w/ Scallion and Ginger

Head on Shrimp w/ Salt and Pepper Coating Stir Fried with Scallions and Chiles

Young Snow Pea Shoots Stir-fried w/ Garlic

Cantonese Style Fried Chicken

Golden Beef in Black Pepper Sauce

Steamed Black Cod Filet w/ Ginger and Soy Sauce

Stir-fried Noodles

Ying Yang Rice

Chinese New Year Cake

Tea

Hey, (G)astrogirl! :laugh: The menu looks good to me, so pray tell does it embrace all of the important/significant/symbolic elements for a reasonably proper CNY banquet?

Yin Yang Rice, I love how it sounds and just rolls off the tongue -- not! It's going to be branded on my brain forever! Thanks, I think I have a headache. :blink:

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Auntie spaghetttti! How are you?

Err...the head on shrimp is representative of "ho taow, ho may" - good beginning and good end. Same with the whole chicken. The lobster as well. Other than that, um, not so much...this is more like a regular banquet menu than CNY menu. The restaurant's CNY menu is kinda skimpy.

It's actually Yeen Yung Fan - the pair of mandarin ducks that represent a couple. I guess it's just translated as Ying Yang to make it easier.

Well done Gastro-mui!

Is it going to be fried neen-goh or warm steamed slices?? Either way, it's all good.

The significance of the prawns can also be linked to "Siu-Ha-Ha" which may be translated to Laughing Loudly, meaning happiness for the year ahead.

Don't forget to leave a bit of fish behind on the plate, that is, don't eat it all, for the significance there is "Yow-Yue" meaning, Having Luck & Auspiciousness. Jeez, that's a bad translation, not many of these things translate well!! But it's just me I guess.

Err...the head on shrimp is representative of "ho taow, ho may" - good beginning and good end.  Same with the whole chicken.  The lobster as well. 

Hmmm... In that spirit, the fish should be "whole" too. :wink:

I don't know how the neen goh will be prepared. I will request fried but if it's just steamed, it's ok.

I'll remember to leave some fish on the plate.

Hey, spaghetttti's married...she's higher up in the hierarchy than I am. 'Sides, you're assuming that I'm older than spaghetttti!!! hee hee.

Yes, yes, yes, "ngoh gee doh lah"....*sighs*...but...I reeeeeeeeeeally like the black cod and I must admit, it was my own selfish wish to have it on the menu instead of the whole fish.

But now I feel guilty and will ask to see if they can do steamed flounder instead...ai ya.

Auntie spaghetttti!  How are you?

Auntie spaghetttti? Auntie???

Did you see her picture? Maybe "sister" is more appropriate... :wink:

:laugh: Thank you kind kind hzrt - but Gastro knows I'm really old enough to be her mother, so "Auntie" will do just fine, thank you! :cool:

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

My Chinese New Year dinner wasn't a typically Chinese affair as we're straits born

but at a family dinner last week, we had :

i) Yee Sang (a must during CNY )- raw fish , crunchy bits of various colours, jellyfish(ppl usually order yee sang without the raw fish though).

ii) scallops and spinach in soup

iii) shark's fin soup (the best i've ever tasted)

iv) goose feet, mushrooms and sea cucumbers

v) various waxed meat with some glutinous rice

vi) cod fish with some black sauce

vii) roasted piglet

viii) lotus/bean paste pancakes

'twas wonderful though I can't appreciate goose feet and waxed meat...

Auntie spaghetttti!  How are you?

Auntie spaghetttti? Auntie???

Did you see her picture? Maybe "sister" is more appropriate... :wink:

:laugh: Thank you kind kind hzrt - but Gastro knows I'm really old enough to be her mother, so "Auntie" will do just fine, thank you! :cool:

Actually, Auntie spaghetttti, I do believe you and I are the same age! :laugh:

But you still outrank me! Therefore Auntie is appropriate. :wink:

Was wondering the same thing Aunty Yetti.

On the topic of waxed meats... I miss the stuff badly. Nothing like steamed rice with a selection of waxed meats on top, served with a soy based sauce with flavored oil, hint of fresh chopped chilli, and the crusty burnt bits of rice from the bottom of the pot!!