• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant - Lounge - Club in NJ?

jim07044

Think South Beach Miami: a good restaurant with notable chefs serving dinner and then around 10:00 pm turns into a lounge/club with a seen-to-seen scene. Is there anything like this in NJ?

I've not been to Taste (Bloomfield) or Blend (Ridgewood) or Red (Red Bank) but their descriptions sound pretty close to what I'm looking for. Can anyone verify or recommend anything else?

Jim

while it doesnt change into a club, per se, but south city grille on RT17 is very clublike. place always seemd a bit odd-- food is good, place is loud and gets very crowded. a little too NYish for me, esp for being literally on route 17.....

Adega Grill, which is in the Ironbound (Portuguese/Brazilian/Spanish) section of Newark, is a terrific restaurant that has a lounge attached; the lounge is VERY legit club-looking--and nothing like the decor of the restaurant. I'm told the place is HOPPING on the weekends. Here's the thread about Adega Grill.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Taste is not a Miami style club. They use to have Latin night one night a week. I never ate there but I heard the food is good.

I think what you're looking for is probably something like South City Grill. That have a latin salsa night at the Jersey City location although I like the Rt 17 location best.

There is no place in N J that I would consider a "Seen-and-be-seen" place with "notable chefs". You have to trek across the bridge to NYC for that.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Taste is not a Miami style club.  They use to have Latin night one night a week.

FYI ... South Beach nightlife is not latin-style salsa ... think NYC with palm trees and open air parties (or Hampton summers...)

Taste is not a Miami style club.  They use to have Latin night one night a week.

FYI ... South Beach nightlife is not latin-style salsa ... think NYC with palm trees and open air parties (or Hampton summers...)

I'm at a loss then. I think your looking in the wrong state for something like that. There is absolutely nothing that has even close to a South Beach vibe in NJ. Save up some pennies and head down to the real deal. Stay at the Setai or The National(make sure you get a cabana room-absolutely awesome.) You won't be sorry. I know I wasn't. Airfare is pretty cheap right now too. :biggrin:

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Have you been to Diva Lounge in Montclair (www.divalounge.com) ? Definitely somewhat of a Miami-style club, and they have a regular Latin night on Thursdays. That said, I've only really tried appetizers there (which were pretty good) - I can't really vouch for the food. Maybe someone else can comment?

Also, I heard a rumor that Diva's is under new management - any truth in this?

South Park Grill, in the office complex north of Paramus Park Mall, is a beautiful environment with decent food and has a club scene after dinner. (At least it used to). Call and check this place out...

South Park Grill

633 From Rd., Paramus

201-576-0888

• 1 month later...
Flirt Nightclub should be opening soon in West Orange.

That site has been under construction for years ... I'll believe it when I see it open and ready for business!

There was a very interesting article in the Star Ledger about Club Flirt. It looks like the owners still have a few hurdles to overcome before they would be allowed to open the place:

[nj.com] Dance club is called out of step

There was a very interesting article in the Star Ledger about Club Flirt.  It looks like the owners still have a few hurdles to overcome before they would be allowed to open the place:

[nj.com] Dance club is called out of step

It's unfortunate that communities do not seem to embrace new business propositions, whether its a Flirt-like restaurant/bar/lounge/nightclub or a supersize Walmart/Home Depot. Residents should allow new businesses to open with the idea that the plan will succeed rather than fail. If any problems materialize after-the-fact, all parties should get together to discuss solutions, even a worst case scenario of closing the business. At least this gives the business a chance to thrive. Flirt is getting a bad deal, not even allowing itself to prove it can work within its community.

I must admit, though, with a capacity of 200 or 500 people, where are all those cars going to be parked? The site is very small. Flirt should have been built where the old Crabby Lobster restaurant was (now condos?!). More parking, and no resident neighbors to complain.

I think the lesson learned here is to not development nightlife businesses in the 'burbs, unless you have lots of land and natural buffers from surrounding residential zones.

Flirt Nightclub should be opening soon in West Orange.

That site has been under construction for years ... I'll believe it when I see it open and ready for business!

Local rumor has it that they overstepped their boundries as far as what was approved by the town. I heard something about cages suspended from the cieling for girls to dance in and stuff like that. I also heard that their approval was pulled by the town. I'm not validating my sources, just local rumor.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85