• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ras el hanout & old maps

Bartow

Hello, all-

Having received some great advice from you-all on restos - Flora (maybe yes for lunch) and Helene Darroze (not bloody likely) - I'll risk another double query:

I recently used up the last of the ras el hanout that I bought in Aix-en-P a while back. Have those of you who haunt the Paris Marches Volantes ever seen this Moroccan spice mixture for sale there? I've become addicted to it in tagines & such.

(Non-food question) Does anyone know of a store in Paris that sells old maps? Not antique, just old (like me). I'm looking for a nice big '60s-vintage map of the Metro system that I can hang in my office. Unfortunately, on this 3-day trip, I don't have the time to schlepp up to Pte Clignancourt.

Encore, Merci!

Bartow

I very much like the ras el hanout mixture that seasonedpioneers.com sells.

They are Liverpool-based, but mail all over the world.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Hello, all-

Having received some great advice from you-all on restos - Flora (maybe yes for lunch) and Helene Darroze (not bloody likely) -  I'll risk another double query:

I recently used up the last of the ras el hanout that I bought in Aix-en-P a while back. Have those of you who haunt the Paris Marches Volantes ever seen this Moroccan spice mixture for sale there? I've become addicted to it in tagines & such.

(Non-food question) Does anyone know of a store in Paris that sells old maps? Not antique, just old (like me). I'm looking for a nice big '60s-vintage map of the Metro system that I can hang in my office. Unfortunately, on this 3-day trip, I don't have the time to schlepp up to Pte Clignancourt.

Encore, Merci!

Bartow

Come on the schlep to Pte Clgnancourt is worth it! There are kiosks by the Seine that sell all sorts of vintage prints and postcards near the center. But since I am not in Paris now and have not been back for three years someone else should probably answer this question.

As for ras el hanout make sure you get the one with Spanish fly in it. :cool:

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

gallery_8703_616_1105816932.jpg

And for those who have never seen Spanish fly, check out the green bug on this platter.. It is sold along with quite a few other 'exciting' roots, spices and whatever in two forms: brut or raw and ground. Look for this in the souks of Fez or Marrakech. Use with great care.

[

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I'm looking for a nice big '60s-vintage map of the Metro system that I can hang in my office. Unfortunately, on this 3-day trip, I don't have the time to schlepp up to Pte Clignancourt.

Bartow

Come on the schlep to Pte Clgnancourt is worth it!

Ditto that; I don't have my stall map on me but there is a place that sells only things like you're looking for.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Er, near rue de seine and the covered marche at st. germain there is a great store that sells old maps.. I can't remember the name, but if you are visiting gerard mulot, its pretty close.

As for ras el hanout -- I think I bought some from fauchon and the grand epicerie has some.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.