• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinnamon Ice Cream in Vancouver?

Oh yes....Brazza has wonderful freshly made gelato in lots of flavours, although I don't remember seeing cinnamon but will take a look next time I'm there.The lemon sorbet is excellent too and they sell Intelligensia if you need a fix.[/quote=Chef Metcalf,Jan 14 2005, 05:56 PM]Chef, they 'sell Intelligentsia' does that mean they have lbs of beans or just use it in their bar.Sorry Arne, I know I am off topic, but thought I should get my info. before traipsing across the bridge.
Edited by SushiCat (log)

Does anybody else see the irony in the fact that we're discussing ice cream/gelato in winter in Vancouver ... and it's frickin' -10C outside?

Sorry Arne, I know I am off topic, but thought I should get my info. before traipsing across the bridge.

And I was ON topic? Who am I, The Soup Nazi?? :laugh::laugh:

A.

please excuse my intrusion..have had a bit too much wine, and have not thoroughly devoured all posts herein... have you considered purchasing the best quality vanilla ice cream currently available commercially, placing it in the bowl of a Kitchenaid mixer (or equivalent), and paddling it with a judicious shakering of best quality cinnamon, then refreezing? i used to have a local place that produced wonderful cinnamon ice cream in small batches...but i moved. so i punted--and this works well. not only with cinnamon. marsala. espresso. (vamp here)

edited to improve drunken spelling

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Does anybody else see the irony in the fact that we're discussing ice cream/gelato in winter in Vancouver ... and it's frickin' -10C outside?

Sorry Arne, I know I am off topic, but thought I should get my info. before traipsing across the bridge.

And I was ON topic? Who am I, The Soup Nazi?? :laugh::laugh:

A.

just as long as nobody is the ice cream Nazi! :rolleyes:

Just remembered where I had good cinnamon ice cream, at Toscannini's in Cambridge, MA. Yum, Toscannini's is amoung top ice cream and gelato combined category. Anyone travelling to that area who is fond of gelato/ice cream should take a detour. Get something with hot fudge because they make the best!

Chef, they 'sell Intelligentsia' does that mean they have lbs of beans or just use it in their bar.

Both, sushicat.

Arnie.....After posting about Brazza I got the box out of the freezer and had a bowl. :rolleyes:

It is NEVER too cold for ice cream, or gelato or granita for that matter!
Arnie.....After posting about Brazza I got the box out of the freezer and had a bowl. :rolleyes:

I guess I wasn't clear about the irony ... my bad. I meant that it's not normally this cold in Vancouver, and now that it is, we're eating ice cream (sorry, it seemed funnier at the time :wacko: )

I could eat ice cream/gelato 365 days a year ... nothing better than a milkshake to wash down a couple of crepes with .... right Jeffy Boy?

A.

I could eat ice cream/gelato 365 days a year ... nothing better than a milkshake to wash down a couple of crepes with .... right Jeffy Boy?

To fully enjoy the milkshake with crepes as dessert, you must first have consumed a large Japanese meal, complete with fish nuts (i.e., soup to nuts).

When I was a kid in Edmonton it would be -40 and I would still eat ice cream, maybe that is why I have that tick :wacko:

Stovetop, the other kids must have been jealous. Having a tick in Edmonton - at least you had something to do! :raz:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

No, it was funny Arnie! Means you're in the company of a group of truly obsessed people who do feel the need to talk about ice cream even when it's this bloody cold outside.

To the point where I opened the freezer and consumed freely :biggrin:

please excuse my intrusion..have had a bit too much wine, and have not thoroughly devoured all posts herein... have you considered purchasing the best quality vanilla ice cream currently available commercially, placing it in the bowl of a Kitchenaid mixer (or equivalent), and paddling it with a judicious shakering of best quality cinnamon, then refreezing? i used to have a local place that produced wonderful cinnamon ice cream in small batches...but i moved. so i punted--and this works well. not only with cinnamon. marsala. espresso. (vamp here)

That is a great idea, sure you could use that base for any thing.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Stovetop, the other kids must have been jealous. Having a tick in Edmonton - at least you had something to do! 

Holding the bowl with one hand and the tick with the other :blink:

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

please excuse my intrusion..have had a bit too much wine, and have not thoroughly devoured all posts herein... have you considered purchasing the best quality vanilla ice cream currently available commercially, placing it in the bowl of a Kitchenaid mixer (or equivalent), and paddling it with a judicious shakering of best quality cinnamon, then refreezing?  i used to have a local place that produced wonderful cinnamon ice cream in small batches...but i moved. so i punted--and this works well. not only with cinnamon. marsala. espresso. (vamp here)

You aren't intruding at all, chezcherie. Great suggestion. You're right, you could do that with a host of other flavours.

Alas, I just got back from the Amato Gelato Cafe, and sure enough they had cinnamon! Not too bad at all, although it wasn't exactly like I remembered it tasting as a kid. My craving has been satisfied, I'm happy to report.

Very OT, but I took my 5 year old with me to Amato's. As we're driving there, the radio starts playing "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". Remembering the "we were barely seventeen and ..." lyric (surely you recall the rest of that line, right? :laugh: ), I changed the radio station. My son howled in protest, insiting that he wanted to listen to that "really great song". So we sat in the car, in front of Amato's, listening to Meat Loaf with my son bopping along to the beat in the back seat, and me asking him a question to distract him everytime the "we were barely seventeen" lyric comes along!

I fear that I'll never be able to eat cinnamon ice cream without that song popping into my head! :biggrin:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

It is NEVER too cold for ice cream, or gelato or granita for that matter!

I guess I wasn't clear about the irony ... my bad. I meant that it's not normally this cold in Vancouver, and now that it is, we're eating ice cream (sorry, it seemed funnier at the time :wacko: )

A.

Arne, I think it was all the wine you guys had that made it funnier. Didn't someone mention something about posting when drinking...... :hmmm:

There's a place in White Rock along the beach that has pretty good gelato.... it may be "Dolce Gelato" but I'm not positive that is the name.  It's right beside a bank machine kiosk.

Yup, it's Dolce Gelato. Their stuff is very good, but I think they're closed through the winter. They have a nice white wine gelato.

Thanks for the confirmation :smile: had friends from White Rock over for dinner tonight and forgot to ask them for their fav flavour (they always order the same thing) but will check in with them tomorrow.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Does anybody else think Mum's Gelati has good gelato?  Actually, I normally just get their coffee gelato, or their sorbet (mmm, pear...).

Mum's used to be the best ... when run by the older Italian couple on Denman. It has been a long while since they were there and I haven't been to the place that is currently called Mum's.

Clearly you think it is good, are you asking how it compares to others in town?

getting back to the gelato in vancouver aspect of this thread ... I managed to fit in a scoop at Brazza over the weekend - mostly because Chef Metcalf indicated they use Intelligentsia beans in their coffee bar ... will post my comments in the appropriae coffee thread.

Gelato not worth the drive. If you live close by and can't get to Mondo, then it might do in a pinch, but not at all close in quality to Mondo. We had hazelnut, coffee, lemon, grapefruit and strawberry. These are inside our core flavour groupings so it seemed worthwhile, also there were a number of flavours that just did not appeal, like bubble-gum. Tasted pistachio while deciding, it was not properly flavoured and seemed artificial to me. Grapefruit was the top flavour that day, my guess is it was freshest. Overfall the mouthfeel was not as creamy as Mondo or La Casa / Marios. Also the flavour intensity was lacking ... enough said.

errr herro all

:smile:

`scuse me for butting in ( i`m new here so be nice )

err i think parkside is serving cinnamon ice cream with there sticky toffee pudding at the mo` ? i had a dish of it the other night and my its was %^$#ing good

lots of love

transfattyacid

Welcome transfattyacid! Don't be shy, none of the rest of us are ... Daddy-A, I know you like to welcome people, but didn't want to neglect our newcomer.

Good to hear you had something yummy at Parkside ... I'll be there shortly for DOV.

errr herro all

:smile:

`scuse me for butting in ( i`m new here so be nice )

err i think parkside is serving cinnamon ice cream with there sticky toffee pudding at the mo` ? i had a dish of it the other night and my its was %^$#ing good

lots of love

transfattyacid

Welcome transfattyacid! Don't be shy, none of the rest of us are ... Daddy-A, I know you like to welcome people, but didn't want to neglect our newcomer.

Good to hear you had something yummy at Parkside ... I'll be there shortly for DOV.

thank you very much ,

enjoy parkside

tt

To fully enjoy the milkshake with crepes as dessert, you must first have consumed a large Japanese meal, complete with fish nuts (i.e., soup to nuts).

When I was a kid in Edmonton it would be -40 and I would still eat ice cream, maybe that is why I have that tick :wacko:

Stovetop, the other kids must have been jealous. Having a tick in Edmonton - at least you had something to do! :raz:

Every boy needs a pet ... :raz: