• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Astrance, Le Meurice, Any thoughts?

raisab

I have a couple special occasions coming up....I usually go to Bistros that are good but not expensive, this time I would like to try a 1 or 2 star resto who's prices are not out of this world. I have been trying to get reservations at Astrance for over 2 years. Unfortunately I do not know my dates until it is too late to get a table , any suggestions/ Also Le Meurice sounds wonderful, but does anyone know the general costs? Or any other suggestions? John (Resto Roi)? Bux? Pim? Aanyone?

Thank you all so much.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I have a couple special occasions coming up....I usually go to Bistros that are good but not expensive, this time I would like to try a 1 or 2 star  resto who's prices are not out of this world. I have been trying to get reservations at Astrance for over 2 years. Unfortunately I do not know my dates until it is too late to get a table , any suggestions/ Also Le Meurice sounds wonderful, but does anyone know the general costs? Or any other suggestions? John (Resto Roi)? Bux? Pim? Aanyone?

Thank you all so much.

We paid about 300 € for lunch for two at l'Astrance this fall. We had the smaller of the two tasting menus as I recall. We had a moderately priced bottle of wine. I'm sure we had sparkling water and coffee. I also recall we had a couple of glasses of champagne that together were probably almost as expensive as the bottle of wine. Aperitifs are the first thing I'd eliminate if I was trying to economize. Goumard has a pricey carte, but there's also a prix fixe that's reasonable. It's a set menu with no choice.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Astrance....Le Meurice  Or any other suggestions? John (Resto Roi)? Bux? Pim?

I'm the wrong guy to ask; while I had one good meal at l'Astrance (alone) just after it opened and liked it, when I went back a couple of weeks later with Colette and 2 friends we all thought it failed miserably. But, hey, Bux and everyone else in the world loves it and GaultMillau in its Dec-Jan issue named Barbot the Chef of the Year. As for the Meurice, the same 2 friends who didn't like l'Astrance, loved it, I have not been, since 2004 has been my year of the pinched penny. Also, I'm having trouble appreciating the difference between a 50, 100 and 200 Euro meal - and this even when someone else is paying - isn't that sad? Maybe it's plastic bag time.

Ex-Resto roi John.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Also, I'm having trouble appreciating the difference between a 50, 100 and 200 Euro meal - and this even when someone else is paying - isn't that sad?  Maybe it's plastic bag time. 

Ex-Resto roi John.

Don't worry, I have the same problem, and (when I am in a reasonably good mood) I don't believe I'm ready for the plastic bag yet.

Also, I'm having trouble appreciating the difference between a 50, 100 and 200 Euro meal - and this even when someone else is paying - isn't that sad?  Maybe it's plastic bag time. 

Ex-Resto roi John.

Don't worry, I have the same problem, and (when I am in a reasonably good mood) I don't believe I'm ready for the plastic bag yet.

You know I am beginning to feel the same way...I did make reservations at Astrance for dinner on the 10th of February, but I don't remember the price quoted. It is only a Menu Surprise at night I was told. But if lunch was 300 euros, I am not sure I want to experience L'Astrance that badly. I have been to a few 3 starred restos that seemed more reasonable than that.

I absolutely love Le Troquet, L'Ourcine, etc.. and was more than satiated foodwise.

How about La Fanille, has anyone tried that lately?

John I can appreciate your budget conciousness this year, the euro is just way too strong. It must be hurting Europe also as I know I don't buy anything that is not food or wine related in France or elsewhere in Europe anymore

By the way John did you have a meal at Le Troquet a couple of months back? I could of sworn I saw you there...or maybe it was just someone who resembled you.

Thank you for your replies and if anyone has any ideas, maybe an inexpensive 30-50 euros prix fixe (romantic please), please let me know.

Edited by raisab (log)

-An American in Paris

Thank you for your replies and if anyone has any ideas, maybe an inexpensive 30-50 euros prix fixe (romantic please), please let me know.

How about Le Jules Vernes on the 1rst floor of the eiffel tower? The room is beautiful, won't even mention the view. The food is very good and it is reasonably priced. That was years ago though... Back then i think it had one star and in my eyes, it deserved another..

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

How about La Fanille, has anyone tried that lately?

John I can appreciate your budget conciousness this year, the euro is just way too strong. It must be hurting Europe also as I know I don't buy anything that is not food or wine related in France or elsewhere in Europe anymore

By the way John did you have a meal at Le Troquet a couple of months back? I could of sworn I saw you there...or maybe it was just someone who resembled you.

I ate 3 times at La Famille, the last time a few months ago. It went from interesting, to way out to way way out (eg almost raw fish, somewhat bizarre combinations, etc). I have put it in the Angl'Opera category; interesting for fellow chefs and once a year Americans wanting to know how far the envelope can be pushed.

And yes, I've been back to Le Troquet this year and was pleased it still holds up. I've always liked it. It may well have been me; next time just come over and say hello, ignore my seeming to be buried in Figaro.

As for a romantic place at reasonable prices, would Bon Accueil or Maison de Jardin meet that standard?

Happy 31st.

John Talbott

I got to go to L'Astrance for my birthday this past November and loved it. We got reservations for a Friday lunch on a few days notice, but it took a couple of calls, which I think was due less to the restaurant's being full than it was to my abominable french. $80 euros fixed price for the small lunch menu, I think, but be careful if you're watching prices--the champagne they offer you at the onset of the meal turned out to be $20 euros a glass!

In September I ate at two places that fit your budget and were quite good:

Maison Couritne, 157 Avenue Maine. This restaurant has 1 star in the Red Guide but is remarkably well priced. The menu is 35e, with 6 or so choices for each course. A 5 to 10e supplement applies to some items. I had 2 glasses of Jurancon, one for an aperitif, another to go with the foie gras with grapes (10e supplement), a confit de cuisse de canard, a fig dessert, half bottle of Cahors, water and coffee all for only about 73e. The dining room is brightly painted and probably not an especially romantic setting. Although a starred restaurant, there is no Christofle on the table and you will have to pour your own wine occasionally since the dining room that seats about 40 is efficiently staffed with only three workers. I guess it is good to know that your bill is going to pay for the food more than expensive trappings.

Phamplet - I do not remember the address but it is in the Red Guide as a Bibb Gourmand (smily face by it). It is on the east side of Paris not far from the Cirque d'Hiver. A generous amuse of pork rilletts and a large plate of various thinly sliced sausages started the dinner. The menu was 30e for 3 courses. I had an entree of saumon savage with gallette de pomme de terre. The thinly sliced salmon was arranged on the gallette and sauced with a herb infused cream. The main was two filet of small turbot (turbotin, I guess), skin crispily pan fried and sauced with jus de viande. Dessert was a fig preparation with parmesan ice cream. A plate of miniature desserts was served with coffee, just like you get at an expensive place. For wine I had a whole (no demis on the list) bottle of St Nicolas de Borgueil. The total bill was about 55e. I liked this restaurant very much. The service was attentive, although some guy who appeared to be the owner complained quite a bit that I was late for my reservation.

. . .  be careful if you're watching prices--the champagne they offer you at the onset of the meal turned out to be $20 euros a glass!

That should really be a universal caveat. For a restaurant of its class in the 16th arr., the price and the quality of the champagne are probably not out of line. As I suggested earlier, a couple of glasses of champagne taken at the suggestion of the host, can often double my wine bill. I'm quite good at abstaining from an aperitif or asking for the wine list before ordering any wine by the glass, but we were in an exuberant mood having just arrived in Paris to find our room ready for an early check in and a chance to freshen up before lunch. We were also aware this might be the last meal we take not in the company of a nine month old and the last chance to relax in Paris. My advice to all is that aperitifs, partcularly champagne and house cocktails, are among the lowest values to be had in restaurnants.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I would drop the Jules Verne idea like a hot potato. It is touristy, and the view is far too high to be interesting. Also the staff change all the time, and are not very user-friendly. For the price much better can be had.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I have a couple special occasions coming up....I usually go to Bistros that are good but not expensive, this time I would like to try a 1 or 2 star  resto who's prices are not out of this world. I have been trying to get reservations at Astrance for over 2 years. Unfortunately I do not know my dates until it is too late to get a table , any suggestions/ Also Le Meurice sounds wonderful, but does anyone know the general costs? Or any other suggestions? John (Resto Roi)? Bux? Pim? Aanyone?

Thank you all so much.

I agree with the Pamphlet recc for reasonably priced romantic; of all the reasonably priced and equally wonderful restaurants we ate in last week, I think it offers the most in terms of setting,gracious and warm service, extras (as noted by the poster, also a tasty squash soup starter), beautifully spaced tables, nice tableware.. the menu was 32 for 3 courses and all those extras..

I agree with the Pamphlet recc for reasonably priced romantic; of all the reasonably priced and equally wonderful restaurants we ate in last week, I think it offers the most in terms of setting,gracious and warm service, extras (as noted by the poster, also a tasty squash soup starter), beautifully spaced tables, nice tableware.. the menu was 32 for 3 courses and all those extras..

Esmerelda,

What do you mean by Pamphlet?

BTW I made reservations at Mon Vieil AMi for next week. Astrance for February, and I will probably make one for Maison du Jardin later this month unless someone has any other suggestions. I will be there two more times beyond that this month but there I will be trying some of the newer bistros I did not get to try last year!

Edited by Bux (log)

-An American in Paris

Never mind I see Phamplett on the precious post....Thank you.

raisab; because you're a dear friend I'll confide in you; I had a very disappointing meal there (Pamphlet), just not what it was cracked up to be. And with all due respect, I didn't find it romantic at all.

Have I/we mentioned Bon Accueil, not the Meurice but pretty romantic and reasonable.

John Talbott

John,

Yes, Bon Accueil is me reservation for this week. Thank you !

Here's to a new Year and New Restos! Merci Bien!

France,..defends only the liberty of nudity, debauchery and decay :raz: I Love this

Edited by raisab (log)

-An American in Paris

I am happy to once again read good reviews of Le Pamphlet. When it opened several years ago, its level of food, service, ambience were superb for its price range. Then, "success spoiled Rock Hudson". While the food suffered less than the service, it did not charm as it did at its genesis. I have read other fine reports recently; it may well be worth a revisit. Thanks for the nod.

Le Pamphlet

38, rue Debelleyme (this is a peculiar little street that forms an arc from rue de Turenne, crosses rue de Bretagne and ends again at rue de Turenne. Le Pamphlet is, as I remember, at the north end of the arc.)

75003 Paris

tel. 01.42.72.39.24

Closed Saturday lunch and all day Sunday

eGullet member #80.

I am happy to once again read good reviews of Le Pamphlet.  When it opened several years ago,  its level of food, service, ambience were superb for its price range.  Then, "success spoiled Rock Hudson".  While the food suffered less than the service, it did not charm as it did at its genesis.  I have read other fine reports recently; it may well be worth a revisit.  Thanks for the nod. 

Le Pamphlet

38, rue Debelleyme  (this is a peculiar little street that forms an arc from rue de Turenne,  crosses rue de Bretagne and ends again at rue de Turenne.  Le Pamphlet is, as I remember, at the north end of the arc.)

75003 Paris 

tel. 01.42.72.39.24

Closed Saturday lunch and all day Sunday

We were a bit nervous going, having read the mixed reviews here from trustworthy reviewers, but we were delighted by the warm welcome and kind treatment. We were accompanied by two mature teenagers, and they also felt comfortable and welcomed. Our French is passable at best, but that didn't seem a problem. The crowd was mostly French. We were surrounded by happy couples (which is one reason that it seemed romantic to me) and had wonderful, creative food, with generous extras. Because the tables are well spaced, it was quieter and more smoke free than others restaurants. My guess is that they have rebounded from earlier problems.

I had lunch at Le Pamphlet one rainy day in October and came away with mixed feelings. The owner was less than warm, but the servers were fine. The place feels more old-fashioned than romantic, but that could depend on your companion I suppose. As for the food, it was copious and a good value at the price. The first course and dessert were excellent, but I recall the main course being a letdown. Sorry I can't recall the dishes, just the response to them.

Has anyone tried La Braisière in the 17th, at 54,rue Cardinet (01 47 63 04 76)? A friend who ate there recently has raved about it, the dinner menu is apparently €50, and it has one Michelin star. Don't know about the romance of the setting though.

Has anyone tried La Braisière in the 17th, at 54,rue Cardinet (01 47 63 04 76)?  A friend who ate there recently has raved about it, the dinner menu is apparently €50, and it has one Michelin star.  Don't know about the romance of the setting though.

Yup; I ate there just after the NYT wrote it up and thot it was nul. Again - the NYT (? author) loved it. Go figure!

Did I say before that I was also disappointed at Pamphlet?

John Talbott

Sorry Raisab, I've only seen this today.

I wholeheartedly recommend Le Meurice. I am definitely a fan. The dinner menu is 170euro--but well worth the price tag.

Also, I find the setting and environs at Mon Vieil Ami rather romantic. The room is modern but warm, on the cute rue St Louis en l'Ile, and when you are done with dinner you could stroll down to the river. At 38euro, the menu is very reasonable for what you get there.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I had dinner at Le Meurice about a month ago and loved it. We started off with drinks in the bar and then moved to the dining room. The entire night was wonderful - the food was fabulous and the dining room is stunning. I can definately recomend the cauliflower/caviar starter. The ambience is superb - I was expecting a very "stuffy" atmosphere. While the decor is very formal the room was buzzy and people were generally relaxed and having a good time. The service was impecible without being stilted.

Le Meurice was a recommendation on this board when I had asked for a special place to have dinner in Paris. The bill was about 450 euros (I think) for the two of us.

Life is short, eat dessert first

• 3 months later...

I ate the "Menu of Discovery" at Jules Verne on Sunday and I can say without qualification that it was the single worst restaurant meal I've ever had. It was also more than 350 Euros for lunch for two with a bottle of simple Pernand-Vergelesses. The food was so bad that thinking about it makes me gag. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but it was truly shocking. I "discovered" that this is a very poor restaurant - avoid it like the plague.