• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Chinese takeout/delivery in Tysons?

Monica Bhide

Oriental Regency near the Sheraton on Rt 7 used to be very good, but I haven't been there in years and heard it had gone downhill. Anyone heard good or bad about Hunan Lion?

Oriental Regency near the Sheraton on Rt 7 used to be very good, but I haven't been there in years and heard it had gone downhill.  Anyone heard good or bad about Hunan Lion?

The Hunan Lion was the office favorite when I worked in the area, but that was about 6 years ago. . . Might be worth a try though.

Hunan Lion is very good for what it is, Tyson's best overall Chinese carryout. (exemplery jumbo shrimp Szechuan style, etc but no Crystal shrimp or any dishes that would otherwise call attention to it....) The Oriental Regency, which never receives any press on this or other boards, does serious blow out Chinese banquets for those who know and care about this. Their carryout is typically "oily" but adequate yet the banquets in the local community are legendary and on par or eclipse any other. I don't know if he is still there but they use to have a chef who rose to serious heights when someone trusted him to prepare the many courses of these incredible dinners. I used to wonder why this or the other board never publicized these incredible dinners except that no one contributed who knew about them. My guess is that they were held "within the community." A consulting PhD at NSF, himself acquired an in house legendary rep for arranging these four + hour last meal on earth indulgences. I attended one about three or four years ago, didn't have the vaguest idea of what I was eating-I did NOT want to know, either! But it was all orgasmic with textures, tastes and aromas that I had never experienced before. Some friends of mine have seriously discussed reliving one of these mind altering indulgences.

The adjacent Shamshiry has its own following as the DC area's best Persian restaurant, another serious entree for those who describe Tysons as a veritable wasteland. As much as I like Moby's (and I LOVE Moby's!), Shamshiry is as good as what I would cross a Gulf for!

Edited by Joe H (log)