• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[SEA] Organic Produce Delivery

Recently we have signed up with Nature's Last Stand (the website hasn't been updated for a bit) to receive home delivery of organic produce. I'm sure many of you do the same so I just wanted to see who everyone was using and if they are pleased with the service.

Natures Last Stand delivers to us each Wed. We signed up for a small box for $35 a week. We have more more than happy with the contents. It's so fun not knowing what you'll get and then using different things that week.

This week we got avacados, a pomegranate, daikon radish, celery, apples, grapefruit, baby spinach, melon, satsumas, green beans, red pepper and eggs.

It is always more than enough food for a week. And when I had two pieces of veggies with dark spots and tossed them I emailed the owner so he would be aware and he delivered 5 more pieces to my door the next day!!

Anyone else using this or another similar service?

I have a CSA, which is a little different, but easily confused with a delivery service. Instead of getting organic produce from all over the world, I just get what's grown on one farm: http://www.whistlingtrainfarm.com/. In the summer I get the Pike Place Market CSA, which has stuff from several farms that sell at the market: http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/shop/market_basket/

I buy from whistling train at the U Dist farmers market in the summer. I am liking this one during the winter for it's addition of CA organic produce. Those avacados and pomegranate made a damn fine guacamole last night! :wink:

From the Pike Place Market Newsletter:

WINTER COMMUNITY SUPPORTED AGRICULTURE FARMS

Blue Moon Farm, Vashon

Margaret Hoeffel and Jean Bosch

Vashon Island pick up

(206) 463-1224

bluemoonfarm2@earthlink.net

Growing Things, Carnation

Michaele Blakely

(425) 788-0480

mjb@premeir1.net

Terry's Berries, Tacoma

Terry Carkner

(253) 922-1604

terryann@nwrain.com

Whistling Train Farm, Kent

Mike Verdi and Shelly Pasco

(253) 859-5197

shelley@whistlingtrainfarm.com

Pick up at Pike Place Market on Fridays and at Ballard Farmers Market on Sundays

More info at: http://www.whistlingtrainfarm.com/

Willie Greens Organic Farm, Monroe

Jeff Miller

(425) 485-4128

williegreens@hotmail.com

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Caveat on the Pike Place CSA: Be leery of their Eastside drop-offs. By the time my produce made the mid-summer trek to Redmond, it was hot and half-squished on many occasions. Given that I visit the Market fairly often, I am familiar with the quality of produce; I often felt like we were getting the rejects the vendors couldn't sell to those customers who had their choice. I was so disappointed that I didn't re-subscribe for last summer.

I hear raves from those who get their pickups in the city proper (not just Laurel), though, so perhaps that's the secret.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Little Ms. Foodie - May I ask, how did you find this delivery service?  And what made you choose them over others?  I'm hoping to join one soon, and like their selection.

They sell produce at the U Dist Farmer's market and we always like buying from them. So we decided to try this one becuase they are a bit newer than Willie Green's who is also at the market and I like to give people not as well known a shot! I also like that we get some stuff from CA, it makes a nice change to have fresh citrus.

I have a friend who has been using one for a while and likes it (don't know the name) but she doesn't know the person. I like to know who I'm buying from if possible.

I use Pioneer Organics and I love them. I had tried New Roots Organics--but they are relatively small and therefore didn't have the perks that I like about Pioneer Organics.

Pioneer gives you a discount if you pre-pay for 10 boxes. There are multiple sizes--and I get the smallest one which is perfect for one person. You can also pay by credit card which I appreciate.

Pioneer sends you an email informing you of what will be in your box, and you can make 3 substitutions per box. You can also have 3 permanent opt-outs.

You can email and complain if there was something wrong with your produce (has happened rarely to me). They apologize and make it up in your next box, no questions asked.

When they list the produce, the list will delineate whether the produce comes from the Northwest or not. You can also add to your order other groceries. I love that everything is online (although I'm sure you can use the phone as well).

--braincell