• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Chocolatier in the City?

Lisa1349

For Polyanna at work, we post a list of 3 "suggestions" that we'd like. I'm sure it means years ago there was a disaster!

The person who's name I picked wrote "good chocolate" as 2 of her 3 suggestions. I can take a hint.

I was going to compile an assortment. I'm definitely going to Miel and a new place I heard about in 1 Liberty Place. Where else do I go to avoid pecan turtles and chocolate covered potato chips? There's nothing wrong with either of them, just not in the same league as truffles and bon bons.

Jubilee is practically unavailable, and not my favorite.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

For Polyanna at work, we post a list of 3 "suggestions" that we'd like. I'm sure it means years ago there was a disaster!

The person who's name I picked wrote "good chocolate" as 2 of her 3 suggestions. I can take a hint.

I was going to compile an assortment. I'm definitely going to Miel and a new place I heard about in 1 Liberty Place. Where else do I go to avoid pecan turtles and chocolate covered potato chips? There's nothing wrong with either of them, just not in the same league as truffles and bon bons.

Jubilee is practically unavailable, and not my favorite.

Frederick Ortega at Lacroix makes some pretty smokin' chocolates that they sell by the box, I guess you just go up to the restaurant to get them...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

You might recall the Belgian Chocolate House on 17th Street, between Walnut and Locust. Although the shop closed about two years ago, the couple that ran it still sells the same fresh, imported Belgian pralines -- on the web. Since their business is still located in the area, even though they don't have a physical store, my guess is that can still get it to you post haste. The website is Belgian Chocolate Online, or you can call 215 877-0374.

They sell more than just pralines. Chocolate bars from Valrhona, El Rey, Scharfenberger, and Cote D'Or; oversized bars of Callebaut milk with hazelnuts; and other types of chocolates, candies and wafers. But I like the pralines the best. And at $32/pound plus shipping, very good value for very high quality.

You wrote that Jubilee is not among your favorites. I find Jubilee a very well-crafted chocolate, but it is made in the French style which many people do not care for. If it's the style you object to, my guess is you wouldn't like Miel either, which are also made in the French style. Although I haven't tried them, I would suspect the Frederick Ortega chocolates would be the same. There is definitely a style difference between Belgian and French chocolates; I happen to enjoy both (when you're not near the chocolate you love, love the one you're near).

Time constraints may prohibit you from using Belgian Chocolates Online, but keep them in mind for the future.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Also, the Belgian chocolates at Trader Joes aren't bad at all, especially considering how inexpensive they are. They rebrand some fairly major makers, like Guylian.

It's breaking your made-in Philly rule, and I don't think you have time, or would want to spend the money in a situation like this, but you can mailorder Jacques Torres chocolates from Brooklyn at mrchocolate.com. They're some of the best I've ever had.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I love Miel.

Also, we just got a gift from Maison du Chocolate -there's one in NYC now, by the skating rink, not just in Paris.

I have to say, they are incredible. Each one has these infusions of tea, or fennel or FRESH mint, or Raspberry pulp,or..... just delightful, and each tastes so very fresh, not fake, very real.

I'm sure they'll mail order to you!

Did you see the special in the NY Times Travel section a week ago? It was about the best Paris Chocolate....not just chocolates themeselves, but it talks about a place that makes Hot Chocolate. They set a pitcher of cream in front of you, and a pitcher of pure melted chocolate! WOW!

Also, if you ever see Bernard Castelain chocolates: He's from Chateau-neuf-du-pape and his dark chocolate covered almonds are unequaled in my mind.

Anyway, Miel is probably the best. Robert Bennett sure knows how to make it all!

Philly Francophiles

I know they're booming in their new location. They will be right next door to us once again on Chestnut St. I looked in and think the location is just screaming for a candy wall with a sliding ladder, like in Willy Wonka. I am a Wonkaphile. They excel at the pecan turtle scene, and ice cream.

I do love Miel as well, and will be heading to Lacroix to score there.

Thanks for suggestions!

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Maison du Chocolate has been on Madison Ave. in NYC for at least two or three years. And If you really want high-end chocolates in Manhattan, go to Richart Design et Chocolat on E. 55th just off Fifth. It's a chocolate shop like J.P. Morgan's yacht: if you need to ask how much it costs, you can't affford it. Payard also makes a very good but (slightly) more affordable chocolate than Richart.

Keep in mind, both of these establishments make chocolate in the French style. So if you object to Jubilee because of it's style, you will also object to Maison du Chocolate, Richart and Payard.

Maron is a treat. I've been buying their truffles since I moved to Philadelphia in 1979. They may not have the finest chocolate you can buy, but it is good and the offers excellent value.

Robert's Market Report

Keep in mind, both of these establishments make chocolate in the French style. So if you object to Jubilee because of it's style, you will also object to Maison du Chocolate, Richart and Payard.

What I object to about Jubilee is the lack of rich chocolate flavor in the shell. To get it so thin, coca butter is added, reducing flavor IMO.

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

What I object to about Jubilee is the lack of rich chocolate flavor in the shell. To get it so thin, coca butter is added, reducing flavor IMO.

I had some Jubilee a couple of weeks ago for the first time since early last spring, and I thought I detected a thicker coating of chocolate than in the past, so maybe that's changed.

Robert's Market Report

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone had the pleasure of trying chocolates from a local purveyor "The Painted Truffle"? I received some for X-mas, a little tin of 5 flavors. The raspberry was spectacular, but the others not so great. They can be found at DiBruno's among other places. Their new Webpage (under construction, but some nice pics)

I happen to love them. I hadn't bought up that company because I didn't want to seem like I was purposely promoting them. Also, the woman I gave the gift to has had them often, during staff sampling. My favorite is the Model T truffle, with VSOP cognac. He's also developing one in my signature flavor, naming it after me, soon to be unveiled. I see them as interesting flavors presented in one of the most high quality fashions. What was it that didn't tickle you about the others? They were also featured in a Valentine Dessert piece in this month's STYLE MAG

For the next week we'll have the champagne truffle collection, then moving into the passion collection for Valentine's Day.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

• 6 months later...

The Miel Gateau is absolutely the best dessert I've ever had, anywhere, ever, ever, ever.

From his site it's "Rum-kissed chocolate sponge cake dark chocolate mousse, vanilla Bavarian".

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

The most orgasmic chocolate confection I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing came from Briggitine Monks Chocolate. This fudge was the most dense and chocolate-ey confection that has ever crossed my lips. It's awe inspiring stuff and made by those that are pure of spirit and purpose. The very mission statement of the order states that their purpose is to live a life of contemplative prayer and to that they are self-supporting through the manufacture of gourmet confections.

I will certainly support their righteous efforts to make obscenely delicious fudge. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The most orgasmic chocolate confection I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing came from Briggitine Monks Chocolate.  This fudge was the most dense and chocolate-ey confection that has ever crossed my lips.  It's awe inspiring stuff and made by those that are pure of spirit and purpose.  The very mission statement of the order states that their purpose is to live a life of contemplative prayer and to that they are self-supporting through the manufacture of gourmet confections.

I will certainly support their righteous efforts to make obscenely delicious fudge.  :biggrin:

Monks....orgasmic. Too easy.

I trust your opinion so I’ve told the wife to order some. She loves spending money. So they will put Fralingers to shame?

---Yogi Berra

The most orgasmic chocolate confection I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing came from Briggitine Monks Chocolate.  This fudge was the most dense and chocolate-ey confection that has ever crossed my lips.  It's awe inspiring stuff and made by those that are pure of spirit and purpose.  The very mission statement of the order states that their purpose is to live a life of contemplative prayer and to that they are self-supporting through the manufacture of gourmet confections.

I will certainly support their righteous efforts to make obscenely delicious fudge.  :biggrin:

I trust your opinion so I’ve told the wife to order some. She loves spending money. So they will put Fralingers to shame?

Fralinger's is good, but this is other worldly. It's the most incredibly rich fudge I've ever had. Apparently the butter and cream they use is from a local dairy, blah blah. Whatever. The stuff is sinfully amazing. And at $9.95/pound a bargain for a gourmet food product as well.

It's sort of ironic that the monks would make a product so likely to lead one into temptation, isn't it? :hmmm:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Fralinger's is good, but this is other worldly. It's the most incredibly rich fudge I've ever had. Apparently the butter and cream they use is from a local dairy, blah blah. Whatever. The stuff is sinfully amazing. And at $9.95/pound a bargain for a gourmet food product as well.

It's sort of ironic that the monks would make a product so likely to lead one into temptation, isn't it? :hmmm:

That's enough for me - I am going to get some! Thanks KAtie

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

That's enough for me - I am going to get some!  Thanks KAtie

Evan

Could I just mention that it's not a REALLY good time to mail-order chocolate? In a few weeks, maybe.....

I could always pour it over a sundae.....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

That's enough for me - I am going to get some!  Thanks KAtie

Evan

Could I just mention that it's not a REALLY good time to mail-order chocolate? In a few weeks, maybe.....

I could always pour it over a sundae.....

Evan

Our wise friend makes a valid point. Not the time to be shipping any foodstuffs really. Especially when the heat wave from Hades returns next week. :unsure: The idea of my gorgeous <insert favorite delicate gourmet product here> baking in back of a UPS truck while the brownshirt is eating his lunch chills me to the bone.

It's worth waiting for. I usually send it out for Christmas gifts. You won't have to wait that long. You can always find it if you Google the phrase Monks + fudge. It's the first hit you'll get. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

4.gif Now you tell me AFTER I spent $48 bucks. It should arrive just in time for the family coming into town so we can do Fralinger’s and Robbie Bennet comparisons.

I dunno. We have someone who does a ton of business with Mars and we’ve been shipped tons of chocolate at all different times of the year with no problem.

Katie, I am appalled that they have not used your “orgasmic” testimonial under their customer comments. Don’t they know who you are?

Edited by CoolPapaBell (log)

---Yogi Berra

4.gif Now you tell me AFTER I spent $48 bucks. It should arrive just in time for the family coming into town so we can do Fralinger’s and Robbie Bennet comparisons.

I dunno.  We have someone who does a ton of business with Mars and we’ve been shipped tons of chocolate at all different times of the year with no problem.

Katie, I am appalled that they have not used your “orgasmic” testimonial under their customer comments.  Don’t they know who you are?

:blush::laugh:

Yeah - I'm sure that's going to rate really high amongst the testimonials. Just has to make it past the monk that updates their web page... :biggrin:

I suspect they don't know who I am. It seems the good Brothers at the Priory of Our Lady of Consolation spend their time on holier and far worthier tasks than focusing on my identity. They lead the monastic lifestyle and do not engage in types of work that may not be done within the enclosure. Pretty austere by most modern standards. I guess making fudge can be done within their strict guidelines if all the ingredients are delivered to their door.

FWIW there's a testimonial on their website from one of the authors of Food Finds. I figure someone that's written a book about foods has travelled enough and tasted plenty of fudge all over the world. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep just got my Brigitine Monastery fudge. Really good stuff. I really want use a lot of bad puns regarding Katie's description, but instead I'll just say order it.

Edited by CoolPapaBell (log)

---Yogi Berra

Yep just got my Brigitine Monastery fudge.  Really good stuff.  I really want use a lot of bad puns regarding Katie's description, but instead I'll just say order it.

So they didn't melt on the way to you, papabell?

Dough can sense fear.

I dunno.  We have someone who does a ton of business with Mars and we’ve been shipped tons of chocolate at all different times of the year with no problem.

Katie, I am appalled that they have not used your “orgasmic” testimonial under their customer comments.  Don’t they know who you are?

Can't really attribute Miel's product to Robert Bennett, now that he is no longer part of the business.

Previn Inc.

Supplier to Fine Restaurants.