• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking Powders: Double Acting vs Aluminum-Free

Richard Kilgore

Isn't Rumsford double-acting? I was under the impression that anything you buy at the grocery store is double-acting...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

All "Baking Powders" are now double-acting as they include both the acid and alkaline components which are activated by a liquid.

A single-acting ingredient would be baking "soda" which needs to be combined with an acid

(such as buttermilk or chocolate) to get the desired reaction.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

All "Baking Powders" are now double-acting as they include both the acid and alkaline components which are activated by a liquid. 

A single-acting ingredient would be baking "soda" which needs to be combined with an acid

(such as buttermilk or chocolate) to get the desired reaction.

I think single-acting baking powders have baking soda plus an acid like cream of tartar which reacts with the soda when liquid is added, and double-acting baking powders have two acids--one that reacts when wet, and another slower-acting one like alum that releases gas when heated.