• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cafe or Restaurant with Vegan Menu in Seattle?

For cancer fighting reasons our two person foodie household is trying to lower or eliminate animal fats. We are trying to switch our meat/dairy/poultry cooking and eating habits to a vegan diet. (We will still be eating salmon for the omega acids).

We have done well the past 10 days we have been on this new diet, but it is time to venture out into a cafe or two for some new ideas. A soul cannot live on stir fry and tofu for very long. (Maybe a body can, but the soul will fly off in protest.) It is also important to stay low fat, even with the "good" oils, so even though we love many of the tofu dishes in the I.D., the oil factor is usually pretty high in the dishes we have had.

We had a great vegan breakfast at the Sunlight Cafe last Saturday morning, and I know Cafe Flora has some vegan options, but are there more? Any places in the ID that steam veggies instead of stirfry? Any really tasty vegan dishes or baked goods you want to recommend?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, much appreciated.

It's been some time since I've eaten there, but I liked the Teapot Vegetarian House on Capital Hill (125 15th Ave E). Nearly everything on the menu is vegan.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I second Carmelita. It is so good, but can be pricy if you're eating for the whole family. The Bamboo Garden is my favorite guilty Vegan pleasure. Araya's Vegan Thai and The Silence Heart Nest are good places, both in the U-District, and not too bad on the old wallet. Also, The Globe on Capitol Hill, make the best damn Vegan biscuits and gravy I've ever had, and they are also open for lunch.

I've found that eating out Vegan can be very expensive, it's best to drop a couple bucks on a good Vegan cookbook and do it yourself. There are also great recipes all over the web.

Good luck.

Moonlight Cafe on 1919 S. Jackson St. Vietnamese place, with two extensive menus of equal size, one of deadthing and another identical to it but made with alternatives to deadthing.

I am an omnivore but I like going here for vegetarian food, especially the vegetarian lemongrass chicken. Cheap too, 3-7$ for most items.

Don't let the karaoke dive bar appearance deter you.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Moonlight Cafe on 1919 S. Jackson St. Vietnamese place, with two extensive menus of equal size, one of deadthing and another identical to it but made with alternatives to deadthing.

I am an omnivore but I like going here for vegetarian food, especially the vegetarian lemongrass chicken. Cheap too, 3-7$ for most items.

Don't let the karaoke dive bar appearance deter you.

Pat

Rover's can do a vegan tasting menu if you're up for something really special.

Given that you're going for low-fat vegan, one thing you might want to check out: many faux-meats aren't low-fat. Especially once they're stir-fried.

~Anita

<...who is going to log off now; I can't seem to post today without a typo>

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

"Bamboo Garden" is a authentic Vegan Restaurant that also, "Certified Kosher".

It follows "Vegan" as traditionally prepared by "Buddhist Methodology".

No parts of the "Lily" are used such as Garlic or Onions in any of the dishes. Some of the dishes they serve are quite good plus they are on Roy street and have Parking.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.