• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Exopat vs Silpat Baking Sheets

Richard Kilgore

Are there any significant practical differences in these two silicon baking mats. Amazon has the Exopat for $10 and the Silpat for $15. Any reason, other than price, to take one over the other?

Silpat, Exopat and Fiberlux are all manufactured by the same company in France, they just use different names and they are colored differently and Silpat has corners that are cut diagonally, Fiberlux are rounded, etc.

This site culinary direct has the story.

Whichever one is cheapest, go with it.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I should add that I have all three kinds and have noticed no difference.

When one company went out of business and had a close-out sale I bought all the full-sized ones and just cut them down to fit the half-sheet pans. They work just fine. I just used a high-temp soldering iron to seal the raw edge so the sharp fiberglass fibers would not shed out.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

They're virtually identical.  I have one of each and use them interchangeably.

Same here. They look slightly different, but perform just the same.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Just got two of the Exopats. I'll do some side-by-sides with Silpats next time we bake cookies around here, but visual examination indicates they're extremely similar.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 months later...

I just bought a small Silmat for $10 Canadian at the Vancouver Community College in Vancouver. It's white, has the sharp corners and is thinner. I'm sure it's the same as Silpat. The large goes for $13. Quite a deal.

The small 28.5 cm by 41 cm. The large is the industrial pan size.

To andiesenji: how is your exopat holding out after cutting it and sealing with a soldering pen? I need to cut my mat, too.

I have had no problems. The only reason I sealed it was to keep the fibers from sticking out.

I use a nail scissors with very sharp point to clip the fibers back inside the the silicone.

Edited by andiesenji (log)