• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Solis Maestro at Costco, cheap

Fat Guy

That's an outrageously good price. Most of the online sellers have them priced at about $110- $120 these days.

Whole Latte Love Refurbs Specials

has them at $87.20 and that's for a refurbished unit with a one year warranty. With heavy use (i.e. two or three pounds per week of grinding) oen can expect to need a burr change after two years of use. At this price point it's now contest - go to Costco for the new units. There's a oen year warranty on the refurbs but no assurance that the burrs are brand new.

That same refurb page has some darn good prices on gaggia facttory return units - $239 for the Coffee model. It's crucial to use properly filtered water with a Gaggia as they are prone to internal boiler corrosion issues over time when moderately hard to hard water is used but they are great little machines. If you can't spring for a Rancilio Silvia or higher than that..... the Gaggia is a great choice.

Just wondering about the difference between the Solis Maestro and the one Starbucks sells for $99.

Think I read somewhere that the grinder Starbucks sells is either a refurbished Solis or rebranded solis? Any help illuminating this matter would be greatly appreciated!

The one Starbucks sells for $99 as the Barista grinder is indeed a rebadged Solis but last time I checked it was the Solis 166 with the 'bucks name on it. The 166 was the predeccessor to the Maestro. It was/is a decnt grinder but the Maestro has some advantages - fewer static issues with the grounds collection bin, less clogging of the chute that empties the grounds into the bin etc. If the rebadged 166 was $60 or so I'd grab one but otherwise the Costco deal on the Maestro is the way to go.

More to the story...

the grinder Costco is selling is actually the Solis 166. Apparently Solis has rebadged their own grinder with a new name! They're now calling the 166 the "Maestro Classic". A bit sly if you ask me. The 166 was the predecessor to the Maestro - it's a good machine but most consider the Maestro to have some worthy improvements including a more functional and less easily clogged dispensing chute where the grounds drop into the hopper. The Maestro Plus is a more robust versio of the Maestro with heavier construction and some other beefed up features (albeit at a higher price - roughly $150 vs the $115 or so that the Maestro sells for).

So.... the Costco.com offer is for $79.99 but adds on $9.00 for shipping plus (if you live in a state where Costco has any operations) the state sales tax. If you're not a Costco member add $5.00 for the non-member surcharge. That leaves most of us at about the $100 level. If I could find the regular old Maestro at $110 - $115withshipping included I'd jump on that deal instead. Or check your local Starbucks for the Barista grinder. It's the exact same thing but if I recall correctly comes with a two year rather than a one year warranty.

Thanks for getting to the bottom of that, Owen. I guess when something seems too good to be true, it often is.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 4 weeks later...
More to the story...

the grinder Costco is selling is actually the Solis 166. Apparently Solis has rebadged their own grinder with a new name!  They're now calling the 166 the "Maestro Classic". A bit sly if you ask me.  The 166 was the predecessor to the Maestro - it's a good machine but most consider the Maestro to have some worthy improvements including a more functional and less easily clogged dispensing chute where the grounds drop into the hopper.  The Maestro Plus is a more robust versio of the Maestro with heavier construction and some other beefed up features (albeit at a higher price - roughly $150 vs the $115 or so that the Maestro sells for).

So....  the Costco.com offer is for $79.99 but adds on $9.00 for shipping plus (if you live in a state where Costco has any operations) the state sales tax.  If you're not a Costco member add $5.00 for the non-member surcharge. That leaves most of us at about the $100 level. If I could find the regular old Maestro at $110 - $115withshipping included I'd jump on that deal instead.  Or check your local Starbucks for the Barista grinder. It's the exact same thing but if I recall correctly comes with a two year rather than a one year warranty.

somewhat confusing, but to summarize (correctly?):

the solis "166" has been renamed the solis "maestro classic" & sells for ~ $80

the solis "maestro" is the next generation of grinder from solis & sells for ~ $115

the solis "maestro plus" is the newest & best & sells for ~ $150

starbucks sells its grinder, the "barista" which is the same as the solis "maestro", but with a 2 yr warranty.

is all the above true???

zabar's in nyc, is selling the solis "maestro plus" for $130 (on sale price). the manager claims it is made especially for zabar's???

1 other: zabar's also sells the bodum chambord french press coffee maker in 3 sizes:

12 oz for $18, 34 oz for $27, 51 oz for $35. which size is the best for 2 full cups, or does size not make any difference, just buy the largest which is the best price, & use the appropiate amount of coffee?

lastlly, if doing all this - buying mocha java, vanilla almond, vienna, french vanilla, & french roast beans from bags "on the floor", is this considered "fresh" such that one experiences a very good cup or what is the alternative? seems like, in mail ordering, the freshness is somewhat lost???

Edited by jgould (log)

the solis "166" has been renamed the solis "maestro classic" & sells for ~ $80

the solis "maestro" is the next generation of grinder from solis & sells for ~ $115

the solis "maestro plus" is the newest & best & sells for ~ $150

starbucks sells its grinder, the "barista" which is the same as the solis "maestro", but with a 2 yr warranty.

is all the above true???

Confusing but true.

zabar's in nyc, is selling the solis "maestro plus" for $130 (on sale price). the manager claims it is made especially for zabar's???

I can't claim to know whether this is totally true or untrue but the Maestro Plus has been widely available in both online and bricks and mortar stores since its release - it was not a Zabar's exclusive. Perhaps they do a large volume with Solis and get a better price or offered feedback to Solis but I think the feature upgrades of the Maestro Plus were based on widespread consumer feedback.That said.... $130 is a very good price - the going rate is usually closer to $150.

zabar's also sells the bodum chambord french press coffee maker in 3 sizes:

12 oz for $18, 34 oz for $27, 51 oz for $35. which size is the best for 2 full cups, or does size not make any difference, just buy the largest which is the best price, & use the appropriate amount of coffee?

If you consider a "cup" to be the 10 or 12 oz mug that many of us coffee drinkers prefer, use the 34 oz. size and serve immediately after plunging. If you want to brew more coffee for guests or for your own consumption you could use the 51 oz. size and pour off the extra coffee into a thermal carafe. I suppose you could use the 51 oz. size for brewing just two cups but I'm not sure of there are any issues re/heat loss due to less thermal mass with less water and larger glass surface area because of larger press.

lastlly, if doing all this - buying mocha java, vanilla almond, vienna, french vanilla, & french roast beans from bags "on the floor", is this considered "fresh" such that one experiences a very good cup or what is the alternative?

If you don't know the exact date beans were roasted it's a crap shoot as to whether they are really fresh or not. Beans degrade rapidly when exposed to light and air. Open barrels are the worst possible way to store and sel coffee beans. Furthermore... you'll find that most serious local microroasters, small regional roasters and better quality cafes will not allow flavored beans to darken their doorstep. There's not only a noticeable aftertaste that many find disagreeblee but also issues abotu flavored beans leaving flavor residue in roasters, grinder and brewing equipment. If you haven't already tried it I suggest using a very small amount of flavor syrup added to the cup when you pour the coffee. Monin and Torani are among the better known and widely available brands. It's a smoother flavor than flavored beans and also allows you to choose the highest quality beans independently of the flavoring.

seems like, in mail ordering, the freshness is somewhat lost???

Not if you're purchasing from a good roaster. The best places will pack and ship on day of roast with sealed valve bags that keep oxygen from getting in but let the CO2 of the bean degassing escape. Many coffees, particularly espresso blends, benefit from a day or two of rest and degassing after roasting. With a 10 - 12 day window of freshness for freshly roasted and properly stored beans and utilizing two day shipping, using the services of a good mail-order roaster can get you some great beans at their optimum stage.

This thread

Master Roasters

has some good suggestions for sources. In NYC area I'd look to get coffee direct from Gillie's Coffee or Gimme Coffee (both in Brooklyn) or else mail order from someone known for quality and prompt shipment. IMHO, on the East coast, Terroir is one of the top vendors. In the Midwest I've heard good things about Barry's in the Minneapolis area, the Roasterie in KC and also Alterra (I think they're in MN).

If you want quality and freshness and are going to be choosing a vendor, check their web sites for info about roast dates relative to ship dates. If the info isn't there just call them and ask the hard questions - you'll quickly figure out who's really paying attention to freshness and turnover.

Prior to doing my own roasting I did often buy mail order but usually purchased in five pound quantities to save money on overall shipping costs. I then broke down the packages into 1/4 lb or 1/2 ln bags and froze them, removing one bag at a time and allowing to thaw completely before opening to use. Fresh roasted is always best but properly frozen and thawed fresh roasted coffee comes really, really close and will always beat anything you can buy in the typical retail store, regardless of whether it's in a vacuum bag or an open barrel.

dear own:

thank u VERY much!!

we have been buying "flavored" coffee beans off- the- floor, grind enough for 3 days & refrigerate; & freeze the rest. remove whatever amount we desire, not de-thawing, & grind using a braun.

i "guess" i'm asking IF we were to buy beans mail order, use a solis maestro plus, & a french press; we would significantly notice the difference??

i "guess" i'm asking IF we were to buy beans mail order, use a solis maestro plus, & a french press; we would significantly notice the difference??

Yes, yes, yes and YES!!!

OK, i bow to the MASTER!!!

so, i know where to purchase the grinder (the solis maestro plus); the french press (the bodum 34 oz for $27, although the 51 oz is the better "deal" @ $35); now the last, & apparently the most important: THE BEANS!!

as an initial purchase, could u make a recommendation as to which bean(s) & amount i should purchase?

CORRECTION:

the solis "166" has been renamed the solis "maestro classic" & sells for ~ $80 + tax + shipping @ CostCo ~ $96

the solis "maestro plus" is the newest & best & sells for $130 @ Zabar's

starbucks sells ITS grinder, the "barista" for $99, which is actually the solis "maestro", but with a 2 yr warranty. ACTUALLY IT IS THE "MAESTRO CLASSIC", NOT THE "MAESTRO".

Edited by jgould (log)

about getting the 34 v 51 oz French press, go ahead and get the larger one if you think you will use it for guests. It is certainly very easy to adjust to brewing a smaller amount in your pot then a full pot and will not adversely effect taste, temperature etc.

What will effect taste are your beans. Try some mail order as long as they supply beans in a flavor lock bag you are in business. Intelligentsia is one spot, although there are many others. I'm sure you can find decent fresh roasted beans in Manhattan as well, but who knows were ... Zabars although a hot spot for deli may or may not rotate and sell enough beans, but fresh beans make the brew! And once you get used to pressed coffee, start experimenting with different beans as this is by far the best method for tasting the coffee nuances.

Enjoy!

about getting the 34 v 51 oz French press, go ahead and get the larger one if you think you will use it for guests.  It is certainly very easy to adjust to brewing a smaller amount in your pot then a full pot and will not adversely effect taste, temperature etc.

What will effect taste are your beans.  Try some mail order as long as they supply beans in a flavor lock bag you are in business.  Intelligentsia is one spot, although there are many others.  I'm sure you can find decent fresh roasted beans in Manhattan as well, but who knows were ... Zabars although a hot spot for deli may or may not rotate and sell enough beans, but fresh beans make the brew!  And once you get used to pressed coffee, start experimenting with different beans as this is by far the best method for tasting the coffee nuances.

Enjoy!

thank u for the explanation. if the 51 oz does NOT affect taste, temp, as alluded to above, it is certainly a significantly better deal. i was under the impression the medium size was better for 2-4 cups, which is probably the amount most often made.

another thought, those who like to drink several cups, an electric brewer stays on for a couple of hrs keeping the coffee relatively hot; whereas, coffee from a french press cools quickly. how does one justify a french press vs. a electric brewer, also assuming its the beans that make the difference??

as for the beans, will take your suggestion. i find it odd, one has to mail order for freshly roasted beans, as result of NOT being able to find in NYC???

Keeping coffee warm on the electric heating plate of a drip warmer will not only heat it but also ruin the taste by scorching it after it's been on there for about five minutes. After brewing I immediately pour off my vac pot coffee (would do the same if I was using a French Press) into a cheap thermal carafe.

A one liter carafe will run anywhere from $7 - $30 depending on source and brand. I usually preheat mine by leaving it full of hot tap water while the coffee is brewing. The carafe coffee stays nice and warm but with no degradation in flavor except for the inevitable one that occurs with time (most folks find it less than optimal after 30 minutes but some will drink it unitl it's gone no matter how long that takes!).

The serious coffee lovers I know who live in NYC have told me that it's very difficult to consistently find truly fresh roasted coffee in Manhattan. Oren's might be a good bet if you can find out their roasting schedule and pick it up at the location where you'll get the realaly fresh stuff. Whole Foods roasts their own on-premises - I think there are better coffees arounf but I'll take an average coffee fresh roasted over a more select varietal that's ten days old or older - anytime.

Another option is "America's Oldest Coffee Merchant" - Gillies Coffee in Brooklyn. Their web site is bit awkward to negotiate but they offer extremely fresh coffee and a good range of varities. Prices are also very competitive.