• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Glasses

bloviatrix

In my neverending quest to get through my pile of incoming periodicals, I came across an interesting article about the different companies producing wine glasses.

Crystal, Made Clear

Among the glasses they examine are Reidel, Spielelau, Baccarat, and William Yeoward - new American glass maker.

If a wineglass is above all an alcohol-delivery system, it ought to perform its function notably better than a Dixie cup. A recent debunking article in Gourmet magazine challenged Riedel's assertion that its glasses actually deepen the taste of wine thanks to their shapes. Scientists proclaimed the notion as nonsense, but at the end of the piece, one neurophysiologist conceded that heightened expectations—the act of drinking from a beautifully shaped glass—do play a psychological role in how people perceive wine.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I am actually quite curious as to what is going to happen to the Spiegelau line now that Riedel has purchased the company.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

question: the article, referred to above, btw thanks, mentions buying both a Montrachet wide-mouthed (VC 416/97 7 3/8" 21 1/8oz) & a Chablis narrower-mouthed (VC 416/5 7 3/4" 12 3/8oz) for a "good" set, according to the author.

however, would not the vinum classic (VC) chardonnay glass (confusingly the same as the above Chablis glass) be the most logical. as per georg riedel, when questioned which glass he would select if he could only select one -"it would be the chardonnay vinum classic".

if one was SO SERIOUS about using the "proper" glass, then could use the burgundy red for both reds & montrachets??

Edited by jgould (log)

question: the article, referred to above, btw thanks, mentions buying both a Montrachet wide-mouthed (VC 416/97 7 3/8" 21 1/8oz) & a Chablis narrower-mouthed  (VC 416/5 7 3/4" 12 3/8oz) for a "good complete" set, according to the author.

however, would not the vinum classic (VC) chardonnay glass (confusingly the same as the above Chablis glass) be the most logical. as per georg riedel, when questioned which glass he would select if he could only select one -"it would be the chardonnay vinum classic".

if one was SO SERIOUS about using the "proper" glass, then could use the burgundy red for both reds & montrachets??

any thoughts as per my question?

Trader Joes has 4 Riedel glasses for $24.95. Did not see exactly what they were as I was checking out. Big ones.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321