• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

minilux chocolate machine

glenn

I'm continuing this discussion over here if that's okay. I'm intrigued by the Minilux chocolate machine. I spoke with the distributor (La Fenice) with the hopes of getting a demo somewhere. After all, it is $980. The person I spoke with wasn't sure if that was possible, but they're getting back to me. I'm just wondering if anyone has any familiarity with it.

The person I talked to stated it worked best with musetti chocolate. Any opinions? And do you think this would be overkill for a small cafe where there will be days with low volume? It's unlikely I'll buy cuz of the price, but I'm still intrigued.

After reading your post, I called my friend and she thinks the place where we tried the chocolate made with this machine was in Costa Mesa. She is going to check in her yellow pages and call around to a few places to see if she can locate it.

She recalls that the place was very busy, in fact, we had to wait in line for quite a while to have our order taken, then wait for it to be prepared. She does recall that she had visited the store prior to the time I was there, but never noticed the chocolate machine, she is a straight coffee drinker, doesn't care all that much for liquid chocolate - too sweet. However she does buy a lot of different kinds of coffee beans, always on the search for "the perfect cup" - one chain, Java Central - had a particular variety that she thought was wonderful but they went out of business a couple of years ago.

Every time she sees a new store that carries coffee, she has to try it.

I don't recall if we were looking for coffee or something else that day, or perhaps we were just going to a movie, when we stumbled onto the store.

In any event, I agree that is a lot of money for a machine just for chocolate but depending on the location, it might bring in more business.

I mentioned to a friend who lives up at Mammoth Lake and she said it would pay for itself in a month up there. She caters parties and has 4 of the 80 cup electri urns. 2 for coffee (caf & decaf) 1 hot water and one just for cocoa. The cocoa refills 3 times for every time she refills the regular coffee.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett