• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

turkey recipe on a chicken?

peter_nyc

I found an amazing recipe for turkey, but can't find a fresh turkey in London (don't have time to thaw one out, I think). Would it be safe to use a turkey recipe on chicken instead? How should I adjust cooking times, if necessary? HELP! :wacko:

Look: people who write recipes aren't any smarter than you are. You can do anything you want to the chicken. It's poultry and actually tastes better than turkey anyway! Just pretend!!

How long you cook it depends on its weight. Invest in a thermometer. After an hour or so, stick it in between the leg and thigh and wait for the readout. If it's around 165, take it out. If you don't want to get a thermometer, the leg needs to wiggle really easily and , when pierced, the juices should run clear.

If you are stuffing it, I am sure there is a thread somewhere about that.

No time to thaw a turkey between now and Thanksgiving? How long does it take? Just leave it out on the counter overnight and flip off the food-safety nazis.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I found an amazing recipe for turkey, but can't find a fresh turkey in London (don't have time to thaw one out, I think).  Would it be safe to use a turkey recipe on chicken instead?  How should I adjust cooking times, if necessary?  HELP!  :wacko:

If you're going to substitute chicken for turkey, be sure to find the right chicken. If the label says "kosher", or even, heaven fobid, "Bresse", toss it aside and find something better. Too much flavor! :biggrin:

You're basically looking at raising the temperature and reducing the cooking time as you go from a larger bird to a smaller bird, assuming you are roasting it. I guess you could even fry the chicken whole just like folks on this site are doing with turkeys.

Chicken is an upgrade over turkey! :biggrin:

If frozen is the only thing available, soak it in cold water until it thaws (shouldn't take long) I think you can still probably get a fresh one in London if you do a little legwork. I always was able to get one with no more than 2 days notice at Porterfords in Bow Lane in the City. Not cheap but good quality.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I have known people to use Capons instead. That is a really big meaty chicken.

I do agree with a previous post. The smaller the bird, the higher the roasting temperature and the shorter the cooking time. I never roast a chicken on less than 400 degrees F. If you have a baking stone, make sure to throw it in there when the oven is preheating. Preheat for 30 or 40 minutes before roasting the bird. Make sure the bird has set out for 2 or 3 hours before cooking. You want it to be room temperature. This gives the inside of the bird a better chance to cook and lets the outside of the bird roast better when cooking at higher temperatures.

I was once diagnosed with a split personality but we are all okay now.