• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet products

Ms. Willinger,

thank you for your time. It seems to me that over the years previously little known gastronomic products (e.g. balsamic vinegar a few years back, now lardo di colonnata and formaggio di fossa) take on cult status. Do you have any guess as to what will be the next superstar (or superstars)? Or, rather, any favorites in mind that should become superstars?

Best regards,

Francesco

Ciao Francesco

A stroll through the aisles of the Salone del Gusto offered a glimpse of the future of artisanal foods that will eventually make it to International tables. Italian salt, fish cured like salumi (Moreno Cedroni-inspired), quality tuna (as opposed to the stuff in the supermarket), Sicilian almonds, colatura, and mosto cotto (balsamico of the south) are a few ingredients that come to mind. I think that gelato will be big.

Fine cheese dealers like Giovanni Fiore of Guffanti (check out their fantastic website) are responsible for fantastic artisanal cheese making it out of the country. In the past few years I've seen Tuscan kale, fennel pollen, bottarga (often of dubious quality), Carnaroli rice, gunciale, lardo and home-made salumi in general (think Armandino Batali in Seattle and Paul Bertolli in Oakland) gain a foothold in the US.

A product that I think has little future outside its area of production, although you can never tell, is lattume di tonno. Ever heard of or tasted it?

a presto

Faith

Ms. Willinger,

thank you for your time. It seems to me that over the years previously little known gastronomic products (e.g. balsamic vinegar a few years back, now lardo di colonnata and formaggio di fossa) take on cult status. Do you have any guess as to what will be the next superstar (or superstars)? Or, rather, any favorites in mind that should become superstars?

Best regards,

Francesco

A product that I think has little future outside its area of production, although you can never tell, is lattume di tonno.  Ever heard of or tasted it? 

a presto

Faith

thank you for your answer. With regard to lattume, it's my favorite thing to cite when I want to disgust my British friends and colleagues :laugh:

I have never tasted it as I am from Liguria and I've only been in Sicily once a long time ago. Esperya used to sell it when Tombolini was running the company, but now, and not surprisingly, they don't carry it anymore.

Francesco

Ciao Francesco

Anyone who makes lattume jokes with the Brits is okay in my book. I tasted lattume for the first time on the island of Favignana. I saw that it was sold on Esperya a few years ago, and ordered it, to be sent to some friends at the Oxford Symposium. It never arrived. I think they were relieved.

a presto

Faith

A product that I think has little future outside its area of production, although you can never tell, is lattume di tonno.  Ever heard of or tasted it? 

a presto

Faith

thank you for your answer. With regard to lattume, it's my favorite thing to cite when I want to disgust my British friends and colleagues :laugh:

I have never tasted it as I am from Liguria and I've only been in Sicily once a long time ago. Esperya used to sell it when Tombolini was running the company, but now, and not surprisingly, they don't carry it anymore.

Francesco