• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Westside Restaurant For Lunch

paul mitchell

So my sister (the responsible one in the family) is graduating with her Master's from UBC next week and she has asked me (the irresponsible one in the family....ie still a waiter) to find a good place to convene for lunch with the family after the ceremony. My career may be frowned upon by the family but they never shy away from restaurant reccomendations, obscure food questions (at least 5 e-mails a week) and demand that I have a bi-weekly top ten new wine release list with tasting commentary. Still it's a small price to pay instead of slaving my ass off on a Master's. I am dumbfounded about somewhere to go on the Westside of Vancouver between UBC and South Granville. Hopefully something semi-fancy and inventive but where my Pop's can also get the "safe bet" chicken dish.

So my sister (the responsible one in the family) is graduating with her Master's from UBC next week and she has asked me (the irresponsible one in the family....ie still a waiter) to find a good place to convene for lunch with the family after the ceremony. My career may be frowned upon by the family but they never shy away from restaurant reccomendations, obscure food questions (at least 5 e-mails a week) and demand that I have a bi-weekly top ten new wine release list with tasting commentary. Still it's a small price to pay instead of slaving my ass off on a Master's. I am dumbfounded about somewhere to go on the Westside of Vancouver between UBC and South Granville. Hopefully something semi-fancy and inventive but where my Pop's can also get the "safe bet" chicken dish.

Hi Paul,

Choices are a little limited by the hour, but if you're keen to stay south of the bridges, in this weather I'd recommend the new look (and oft-ignored) Smoking Dog at 1st and Cypress. I think it's one of the most under-rated bistros in town and they have those great savoury (crab!) crepes at lunchtime. Cosy room dispells autumnal chills, open a furry Rhone and a feeling of well-being ensues. Pretty reasonable too.

Good to hear from you,

Jamie

PS--As I know that these types of family favours never go unpunished, drop by and check it out beforehand--Jean Claude loves a family party and is quite accomodating. As an alternate, I believe that Bistro Pastis is still open at lunch too, although the parking is more challenging on 4th Avenue.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

West Restaurant is open for Lunch weekdays.

IMO it's a much more suitable locale for a celebration than the other place mentioned.

The smell of stale cigars that permeates Le Smoking Dawg (a place I know well as it's just down the street) has put off a lot of diners over the years-this one included.

I would second Sam's recommendation for West, especially over the Smoking Dog as my wife and I went there for lunch today and had one of the worst meals I have had recently.

I ordered a lobster salad (I probably should have known better) and the lobster that came was in two pieces smaller than my thumb and it was so tough I could barely cut it with my knife and had feezerburn so bad it was visible. I told our waiter it was unacceptable, but given that my wife had already started her lunch, I opted to eat the salad. The salad consisted of some sliced apple and mesculin greens and was smaller than a typical cup of soup. The waiter then proceeded to charge me $8 for this tiny plate of lettuce, which was a discount off the $19 it was supposed to be with the lobster. A terrible value anyway you have it!

My wife's food on the other hand was good but not outstanding with a bowl of tomato soup and a leek and onion tart. Two glasses of Sylvaner rounded out the bill which was just above $50. Hardly a deal for what we received and the service was not a reason to rush back either.

Hopefully this was just a one-off occasion as the menu looked promising but I would certainly have a hard time recommending this restaurant to anyone else.

I am dumbfounded about somewhere to go on the Westside of Vancouver between UBC and South Granville. Hopefully something semi-fancy and inventive but where my Pop's can also get the "safe bet" chicken dish.

Paul there must be a few more places around this area then just what has been listed; are you just looking for semi- fancy as in high end or can you go for lunch to a place that serves good food but is not high end; the main thing is a place where all the group can have fun, talk, celebrate right??

eat- drink-good service-good food

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)
Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Hey Paul,

Feenies on West Broadway - still a classy way to have lunch without the higher prices of Lumiere.

Rangoli - Vij's new lunch spot, ate there the Anthony Bourdain weekend and loved it.

Picnic - for more of a casual spot for the group to hang out - excellent food.

Memphis Blues BBQ (or something like that) - super casual, decent and affordable beers and wines

Maurya on west broadway - not sure about lunch, but great Indian food.

I still think Feenies is the way to go - yummm, fancy hamburgers and poutine......

Picnic is the cafe place next to Meinhardt's - last time I was there, there were no individual tables (it's a long, picnic like table down the middle) & the service is from the counter at the front ( you place your order, they bring it to you). The sandwiches are great, and IMHO, it's the best hot chocolate in town, but the prices are what you'd expect given the source of the food and the location - i.e. the best hot chocolate in town is approximately $6 for a cup. Unless the post-convocation ceremony is a picnic down at Spanish Banks, I don't think it would fit the bill.

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)