• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with the Colonel

Florida Jim

With crackers, cheese and red lentil spread:

2002 Weinreider, Riesling Bockgarten I:

My first riesling from Weinvertel and an excellent one, at that. Clean, pure and focused; immediately identifiable as Austrian riesling with good density, structure and persistence. Brought back by hand.

With salmon with lentils:

Sine Qua Non, Pinot Noir ”M”:

Wonderful nose of underbrush and fruit (very Oregon) but massive on the palate and 15.4% alcohol burns out some of the flavor and most of the finish. Others enjoyed it more than I.

With grilled filet mignon, Swiss chard stems with cheese and roasted mushrooms:

1989 Chateau Lynch Bages:

Decanted 6 hours; showing many layers of secondary development, fine balance, great elegance in the mouth and good length. On release, this wine reminded me more of a CA cab. with a texture that was plush and soft. No longer, it is very precise and delineated and comes across as almost light weight. Remarkable wine that is nowhere near fully developed. Excellent with the dish.

With fresh pear-apple and cheeses:

2002 Ridge, Zinfandel Late Picked Pagani Ranch:

15.8% alcohol, .2% RS, 89% zin., 7% alicante boushet, 4% petite sirah;

Plush and rich in the mouth without being overly raisined or prunish, concentrated and strongly flavored. Excellent wine with the cheese but one glass was enough for me.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com