• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SEA - Dinner Rolls

Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat..... Okay, so maybe not Christmas :smile: but Thanksgiving is coming, and I have a burning question. Where are the best rolls in Seattle? I am flat out horrible at baking so don't even go there. :wink: Thanks.

Rocky

What kind of rolls do you like? For crusty artisanal rolls, Macrina (never had Dahlia's). If you like the squishy slightly sweet old fashioned American kind (like my grandma always made), Ezell's Fried Chicken sells them by the dozen and they are soooo good.

This recipe is dead easy, and I'll be happy to walk you through it if you have any questions. This is the recipe that will make people actually eat rolls at Thanksgiving!. You can do it, and really, you should do it. You'll be a hero if you make these! Even my mother in law loves me when I make these - need I say more?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttery Pan Rolls

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons white sugar

2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1 1/2 cups milk

1/2 cup water

5/8 cup butter -- divided

1) Combine 3 cups of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Stir well and set aside.

2) Combine milk, water and 1/4 cup of the butter in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let mixture cool to 120 to 130 degrees F (49 to 54 degrees C).

3 )Gradually add milk to flour mixture and beat at low speed of an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Then beat for 2 minutes at high speed. Gradually stir in the remaining flour to make a soft dough.

4) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 8 to 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a well greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Punch dough down, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

5) Melt remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter.

6) Shape dough into 40 balls and dip each one in the melted butter. Place the balls in two greased 9 inch square baking pans. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.

7) Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for 15 minutes or until rolls are golden. Brush warm rolls with any remaining melted butter.

What kind of rolls do you like? For crusty artisanal rolls, Macrina (never had Dahlia's). If you like the squishy slightly sweet old fashioned American kind (like my grandma always made), Ezell's Fried Chicken sells them by the dozen and they are soooo good.

I'm a big fan of the squishy kind, with a nice hint of butter to it, but crusty is good too as long as the inside is nice and soft.

Rocky

>This recipe is dead easy

Gotta say, Abra, when I see any of these kind of instructions, "dead easy" isn't what I think of.

>let mixture cool to 120 to 130 degrees F (49 to 54 degrees C).

>1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter.

>Shape dough into 40 balls

But maybe it's just cause they say "1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons" instead of just "six tablespoons." What I *really* hate is when it's like, one gallon plus one and two thirds teaspoons... <g>

Steve

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama

I love the Macrina Guiseppe rolls. The crust is not hard, but has a bite, and the inside is the best white bread ever. Get them at the bakery, or at the hot soup station at Metropolitan Markets (and other stores, too, I'm sure!). They're a bit spendy per roll at Met Mart ($.80 ea), so check the prices at the bakery.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

If you like the squishy slightly sweet old fashioned American kind (like my grandma always made), Ezell's Fried Chicken sells them by the dozen and they are soooo good.

Ezell's is a great idea. I love those rolls!

My favorite crusty rolls are from Tall Grass Bakery. They're the rolls that are served at Le Gourmand.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Ok, I give up on trying to turn rockdoggydog into a baker, but for anyone who wants to bake squishy, buttery rolls, this is a wonderful recipe.

Thanks for trying to though. :biggrin: And thanks for all fo the feedback guys, I think I'm going to go to Macrina and Ezell's, maybe get some gizzards while I'm there.

Rocky