• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

reports from a eating trip

eatstrong

this august and september, my brother and i traveled around western europe. specifically, we were in italy, france, spain and london. whenever possible, we stayed in the cheapest lodging available and sought out the finest, most authentic food we could find. needless to say, this became rather expensive rather quickly in france especially, but thats ok. we wont be going back anytime soon. its going to take several years to save up again. in this thread i will be adding links to the reports i am writing of the extra-special restaurants we went to in france. first is le clos de la violette, in aix-en-provence, but coming are gagnaire, les ambassadeurs, arpege, and more. stay tuned. heres a picture from clos de la violette to whet your appetite. thanks for checking out my report.

gallery_20496_314_1099380058.jpg

we traveled for about 5 weeks total, staying no more than a few days in any given place. not really the right way to do it, i suppose, but there is just so much to see. our entire itinerary was rome, naples/pompeii, florence, san gimignano, venice, milano, nice, aix, avignon, nimes, barcelona, bilbao, san sebastian, paris, london. i regret that my next report from france will be a few days in coming, at least, since i am writing my reports chronologically, and we went to spain before we hit the next (really) big french restaurants in paris, so youll have to check out the spain forum for those (mugaritz, berastegui, arzak). after spain, ill get to paris, and then ill get to the slightly less crazy restaurants from france that we went to in avignon and nimes. sorry about the wait. that picture is described in the report i write on clos de la violette, by the way. its a raspberry tart with whipped cream and licorice ice cream. thanks for checking it out.

we traveled for about 5 weeks total, staying no more than a few days in any given place. not really the right way to do it, i suppose,

I don't know that there's a right or wrong way to travel. There are many variables. Living in a place will give you a feel for that place, but touring is a viable alternative. I suspect how much one gets out of touring has more to do with the way one lives and travels while touring than simply moving about every few days.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.