• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorites

Thank you for spending the week with us, Chef Richard.

Although I'm sure your in-house resources are more varied than many of us have the privilege to cook with at home, daily creativity based on fresh pantry items is the foundation of many good cooks -- whether for the nightly meal or an impromptu special event. We also often have those dishes that are great standbys, favorites of family and guests, that we can count on our pantry to supply.

Given that you create new menu items daily from the available in-house resources, what are some of your favorites that you repeat on a semi-regular basis?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Although I'm sure your in-house resources are more varied than many of us have the privilege to cook with at home, daily creativity based on fresh pantry items is the foundation of many good cooks -- whether for the nightly meal or an impromptu special event. We also often have those dishes that are great standbys, favorites of family and guests, that we can count on our pantry to supply.

Given that you create new menu items daily from the available in-house resources, what are some of your favorites that you repeat on a semi-regular basis?

Judith, Thanks for the question. You are correct,we, as chefs and restauranteurs, have access to products most people dont have. These products are very expensive and limited. But still there are alot of main stream products out there that are great and getting better in alot of ways then they used to be.

At the Pear, I try my hardest not to repeat any dishes. We do repeat with ingredients as they are the main stay of our cuisine. For example, we always have Elysian Fields Lamb, Snake River Farms Kobe Beef, Four Storu Hills Squab, Veal and Poulard, Ingrids Lobsters and Scallops when available, and so on. These are items I like to use over and over. But again, the entire dish will not be the same, hopefully, twice.

Does that answer your question? Maybe not. What else can I say about that to you?

Judith, Thanks for the question. You are correct,we, as chefs and restauranteurs, have access to products most people dont have. These products are very expensive and limited. But still there are alot of main stream products out there that are great and getting better in alot of ways then they used to be.

At the Pear, I try my hardest not to repeat any dishes. We do repeat with ingredients as they are the main stay of our cuisine. For example, we always have Elysian Fields Lamb, Snake River Farms Kobe Beef, Four Storu Hills Squab, Veal and Poulard, Ingrids Lobsters and Scallops when available, and so on. These are items I like to use over and over. But again, the entire dish will not be the same, hopefully, twice.

Does that answer your question? Maybe not. What else can I say about that to you?

Thank you.

Wonderful! I would love to be closer -- for me that would be much closer -- to Newport to enjoy your more unusual approach to the daily menu. Maybe two weeks with every night trying something you have created daily, coming from your kitchen.

Your answer begs another question. Although the dish will not be the same, perhaps you might allow what method(s) for cooking the lamb, and scallops, (two of my favorites) for instance, do you prefer?

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Thank you.

Wonderful! I would love to be closer -- for me that would be much closer -- to Newport to enjoy your more unusual approach to the daily menu. Maybe two weeks with every night trying something you have created daily, coming from your kitchen.

Your answer begs another question. Although the dish will not be the same, perhaps you might allow what method(s) for cooking the lamb, and scallops, (two of my favorites) for instance, do you prefer?

Well I do have favorites for cooking certain things. Thats not to say I wont try different methodes from time to time.

Lamb I usually will sear it at high heat and then finish in an oven while basting as I cook it.

Lobster I cook sous vide with butter a la butter poaching.

Scallops I sear la plancha and sometimes I will potato crust we have even cooked them slow in olive oil just till tender and also I love ceviche

Fish I cook mostly la plancha but I will cook salmon, for instance, barely with just a heat lamp or under the radiant cook broiler very slowly. I also sous vide alot of fish these days and will poach in fragrant bouillions and wines.

I hope this helps! Have fun

Edited by Richard Hamilton (log)

Thanks, Chef Richard. I appreciate the salmon suggestion especially as I have not tried that, also the potato crusted scallops are now on my list to try. Cooking is indeed always fun for me!

Judith Love

Thanks, Chef Richard. I appreciate the salmon suggestion especially as I have not tried that, also the potato crusted scallops are now on my list to try. Cooking is indeed always fun for me!

Thank you also. Let me know if I may be additional help.

Good luck!

Best

Richard

I can't resist asking this.

Without telling tales out of the kitchen . . . Could you, please, elaborate on your method for preparing your potato crusted scallops?

Judith Love

Good luck!

Best

Richard

Without telling tales out of the kitchen . . . Could you, please, elaborate on your method for preparing your potato crusted scallops?

Well....that is a kind of, I dont want to say secret, but it is something I do that alot of people would love to know how to do. I hope you dont feel this is disrespectful. Its not the intention. THank you for asking about it though.

Good luck!

Best

Richard

Well....that is a kind of, I dont want to say secret, but it is something I do that alot of people would love to know how to do. I hope you dont feel this is disrespectful. Its not the intention. THank you for asking about it though.

Not at all. Exactly the reason I posed the question in that manner. It just means I'll have fun with a deeper experiment. :wink:

Thank you.

Judith Love

Not necessarily for Chef Hamilton, but what does cooking something "la plancha" mean?

I will stand corrected if I'm wrong here, but to cook la plancha is on a griddle over high heat, i.e. hot coals. Fire up your grill -- hot -- set your griddle (or large cast iron pan) to heat. Cook. When I do this I seldom need anything in or on the griddle as the heat releases fats from fish or meat. Very quick method.

I'm sure Chef Hamilton would have a better explanation for you. :wink:

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

Not necessarily for Chef Hamilton, but what does cooking something "la plancha" mean?

I will stand corrected if I'm wrong here, but to cook la plancha is on a griddle over high heat, i.e. hot coals. Fire up your grill -- hot -- set your griddle (or large cast iron pan) to heat. Cook. When I do this I seldom need anything in or on the griddle as the heat releases fats from fish or meat. Very quick method.

I'm sure Chef Hamilton would have a better explanation for you. :wink:

Yes you are mostly correct. Actually "la plancha" is an iron cook surface. My bonnet has one built in that gets very hot and has sides that drop off into a well where the fat can drain into a container or a drawer in the stove. Its brillian and I love it. Makes things very crisp (i.e. scallops, fish, skin etc).