• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Equipment moving tips?

FlourPower

With the help of a few friends and a pallet jack, we were able to move our ovens and other assorted equipment into our bakery when we opened.

This weekend we'll be getting a 60 quart mixer and I'm not looking forward to moving that thing in. Does anyone have any tips for the move from the truck to the business? We only have a single door in back, so it'll be a tight squeeze. I'm sure we can figure something out but am hoping someone who's been through this before has stumbled upon some brilliant method they'd be willing to share.

I am not sure what your budget options are but when we moved the large equipment to the new bakery we hired the the guys from the restaurant equipment place. Not only did they have the right equipment but having done it before it really didn't take all that long. We(they) moved our 80 qt hobart and it was by far the heaviest and most difficult piece to move. I was happy to spend the money to avoid the aggravation and difficulty of moving the 'beast'. In any case they only used dollies and a modified pallet jack along with gravity. Be careful those things are amazingly top heavy. S.

The good news: we're getting it free. My wife's dad runs a salvage business so we're getting that and a new freezer just in time for the holidays. The bad news: we have to move it ourselves. I'm counting on six guys and a pallet jack.

And lots of beer afterwards.

Thanks for the tips!

FlourP, what part of the country are you in??? I'm totally pea green with envy. I need to open me a sugar art cakery type bakery. And in order to not have to be predominantly a business woman I'm thinking about trying to piggy-back with an existing or starting business. I can offer equipment and mostly gravy money profit to them.

Congratulations to you !!!

Wull, wait - I was getting the impression you just opened but maybe not - Congrats on the new mixer at least - dang tough business, meaning the bakery and the moving of the mixer!!!

We're in Omaha. We've been open about a year and a half. Oh, the stories. The stories.

As far as piggybacking goes, there's a pastry chef in town who recently partnered with a restaurant. I don't know her, but from my understanding she does their desserts and also does wedding cakes and other custom desserts. That might be an option for you.

As for me, there's not enough heroin in the world to deal with brides on a daily basis.