• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Del Frisco's

Stone

Anyone eaten there?  What's the story?

Foodwise, it is a standard steakhouse. They don't have the best steaks in Manhattan, but when I ate there, my steak was cooked properly. The wines are decent, but not stunning. However, the mixed drinks are very, very large and very good.

The best part of Del Frisco's is the two-story high windows looking onto sixth Avenue and the beautiful wood bars. This restaurant is my favorite place to get drinks when it snows in New York City. It is really nice to be in a warm room and watching a cool swirling snowstorm through huge windows at night with a good drink close at hand.

The lower level big shots at the company that laid me off a couple years ago eat there a lot when they must entertain. Because its 2 blocks away from the office.

They showed poor judgement in personnel; I assume it carries over to food also.

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

I ate there Monday night and can't figure out why they are so busy. First, we had to wait close to 30 minutes for our table. Next, could be the loudest restaurant I've ever been in. Close to impossible hearing what other people at our table were saying. Then, our waiter was trying to push up our bill touting how great the 3 kinds of shrimp cocktail are and the great crabcakes. Being that I was entertaining a propect, it becomes difficult to say no so we had the shrimp and crabcakes. The shrimp were od average size and were cooked way to far in advance as they had a poor texture and were extemely cold so you couldn't really taste them. The sauces were average at best as was the crabcake.

We ordered 6 steaks and only 3 were cooked properly as the others (including my ribeye) were way underdone. Two of the undercooked steaks were filets and the waiter suggested cutting them in half and putting the cut sides down on the surface of the plate to continue cooking. Huh? I didn't realize the diner was responsible for finishing up what the cook started.

While the steaks were being refired in the kitchen, out came the vegetables and potatoes. (creamed spinach and potatoes au gratin). The service staff served almost ALL of the potatoes and spinach to the 3 diners who were happy with their steaks. When our steaks came back from the kitchen there were almost no potaoes and spinach left. When I waiter came back over to check on our steaks, he noticed what had happened and brought over more spinach and potatoes. I don't believe they were on the bill.

My steak was good but nothing great. I'd rate in the same league as Angelo & Maxies, fine but not worth the pricetag.

We all passed on dessert.

The bar was quite happening though and might be worth going back to for a few drinks and a burger at the bar.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

and the waiter suggested cutting them in half and putting the cut sides down on the surface of the plate to continue cooking. Huh?

:laugh:

did you look around at that point to see if you could find the hidden camera?

Funny thing is we laughed at first thinking he was kidding but his reaction was dead serious.

At the end of the day, a steakhouse specializing in cooking steaks should do better than getting 3 out of 6 cooked right (in the kitchen).

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Del Frisco's is part of the gargantuan Lone Star-Sullivan's chain of steakhouses - three different restaurants carefully built around different "concepts". Del Frisco's is obviously the fine-dining geared concept...interesting that it appears they have pulled off the "Corporate owned? Us? Never" act.

I ate there Monday night and can't figure out why they are so busy. First, we had to wait close to 30 minutes for our table. Next, could be the loudest restaurant I've ever been in. Close to impossible hearing what other people at our table were saying. Then, our waiter was trying to push up our bill touting how great the 3 kinds of shrimp cocktail are and the great crabcakes. Being that I was entertaining a propect, it becomes difficult to say no so we had the shrimp and crabcakes. The shrimp were od average size and were cooked way to far in advance as they had a poor texture and were extemely cold so you couldn't really taste them. The sauces were average at best as was the crabcake.

/quote]

I have eaten at the Del Frisco's in Las Vegas and in Manhattan. I must say i was pretty impressed with the place.. I am a big steak eater, but am normally turned off by steak houses and there set up. Besides the better places being grossly overpriced amd not worth the money, I find it a turn off to be in a loud, chaotic space filled with a bunch of scotch drinking suits, but I felt Del Friscos was the exact opposite.. Not really that loud, not really that crowded, and provided plenty of space to dine. As oppose to feeling like you are hoarding around your meat with the other carnivours.

I just got back from a bachelor party in vegas three weeks ago where I did hear the same pitch about the best crab cakes, and the shrimp three ways. We ordered all of them, in addition to salads and really good turtle soup. But i have to say, that crab cake was certainly above average in my book. And with 16 people i was able to try the majority of the steaks and dishes.. And out of 16 steaks 16 were done as ordered. The sides were above average compared to most steak houses. I would say the place is above average.. But i still find it hard to justify spending that kind of money at a steak house if i werent going for the company.

Edited by Daniel (log)

• 1 year later...

I ate at Del Frisco's Sunday night, around 6:30 after going to the Mets game. I was worried my somewhat casual attire would be a problem, but it was fine.

I was impressed by the Green Goddess Avocado dressing on the house salad-- it was excellet. The filet was cooked properly and lightly seasoned which I enjoyed. The service was solid as well. I'd probably recommend the steak at Sparks over Del Frisco's, but it was a great, relaxing Sunday night meal-- and a perfect escape from the killer heat.