• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Playa del Carmen

MaryIsobel

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@MaryIsobel 

some wonderful food here

I now if some Chef does something chef-ey

than others better follow

im not sure what that smear 

smsm.jpg.b879eb0d29f9ec90bc9c1bbb2ea7f708.jpg

is supposed to represent ?

are you supposed to lick it 0ff the plate ?

This restaurant is very big on smears sprinkled with green stuff. No plates were licked at our table.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Dinner tonight was supposed to be soup but my husband kept saying "more pasta" so it is basically a very brothy pasta. I wanted to chop carrots in very fine dice but the knives available to me would have made that an arduous task. I used the old trick of doing them in the blender with a bit of water then draining. The broth was very concentrated but flavouful. I did chop some celery leaves very finely. It was good, if a bit unusal, neither soup nor pasta but it hit the spot and husband is satiated yet again.

soup - 1 (1).jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Just got home from our worst meal to date. We chose the place because it had great reviews on Trip Advisor, was steps from our lodging; it has been pouring rain most of the day and they had fish and chips which my husband felt he could manage. (He is not supposed to have anything crunchy or chewy or spicy or fibrous for the time being.) All the reviews raved about the empanadas there, so I ordered a chicken one and a Caesar salad. Empanada was pale, not the least bit crispy and was dripping oil. I ate the filling. My caesar salad was warmer than room temperature and had chicken in it which was not mentioned on the menu. I was kind of afraid to eat it so I just ate the croutons. Husbands chips were good but the fish must have been fried in the same not-hot-enough oil as my empanada and had no discernible seasoning. He was starving so he ate it. I will be leaving my own review! Fortunately I bought ice cream yesterday so we're about to have chocolate ice cream with a sliced banana. (No pictures because I forgot my phone.)

Edited to add: The restaurant was called Cafe Orange and after a few minutes of arriving, we were the only people in the restaurant.

• Sad 6

Much better dinner tonight at Buzo - https://buzos-restaurant-bar.negocio.site/ Lime marg for husband and a passion fruit marg for me. Chips and two salsas when we sat down and a small cup of seafood broth on the house. Seafood broth was delicious; well spiced but not terribly hot. Husband had "medallion" of red snapper. We would call it a steak. Our waiter spoke English so we were able to convey the information that husband didn't want too spicy and it wasn't, but very flavouful. I had the coconut shrimp, perfectly cooked, crispy and not over done. The sauce was mango with a tiny bit of heat. Worth a second visit for sure.

chips - 1.jpeg

broth - 1.jpeg

red snapper - 1.jpeg

coconut shrimp - 1.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

We went back to the food park truck tonight as there is a fried chicken truck, run by a woman from the southern US, which offers mac & cheese which the Toothless One thought he could manage, as his mouth is a bit swollen and sore today. It was amazing. The mac and cheese was so rich and cheesy, I could only eat half of the small (1 cup or so) portion. Husband gladly polished off the rest. The fried chicken was the best I've ever had. I'm not a connoisseurby any means; fried chicken is not a big thing in the Pacific Northwest. My mother never made it, I've never made it so my experience is limited to KFC et al and more recently Popeyes. It had a very thin, very crispy coating and was perfectly seasoned. I had a breast and it was moist and juicy. The woman's name is B (https://www.tripadvisor.com.mx/Restaurant_Review-g150812-d24177990-Reviews-B_s_Frito_Pollo-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html) and I predict great things for her should she choose to expand her business.

m&c1 - 1.jpeg

m&c2 - 1.jpeg

• Like 8

A friend of my husband arrived in Playa del Carmen last night. He is down here for 2 months but is not a fan of Mexican food🤨. We had lunch together today at Fuego Santo. I had a HUGE grilled chicken sandwich, it was great and I brought half home. Gave my husband the fries. Our friend had a hamburger and the Toothless One had spinach and ricotta ravioli with a rose sauce. Everyone was happy. Hopefully my husband's appointment tomorrow will give him back his ability to chew.

lunch1 - 1.jpeg

lunch2 - 1.jpeg

lunch3 - 1.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

My husband had a late dentist appointment yesterday so I had dinner with our non-Mexican-food friend. I had grilled chicken skewers. Must have been grilled over wood - it was really tasty. Our friend insisted on paying so I helped out by asking if he really meant to leave a $40.00 tip on a 35.00 bill😆. Got that sorted.

We usually have breakfast at home but my husband was ravenous this morning so we went across the street to Papa Charly's. Cheese omlette with potatoes, beans and a fruit cup for him and pancakes, bacon, a fruit cup and a mocha for me.

skewer - 1.jpeg

bre1 - 1.jpeg

bre2 - 1.jpeg

bre3 - 1.jpeg

• Like 8

On my own for lunch today, trying to use up some bits and bobs. A tostada with refried black beans, avacodo, tomato, some manchego cheese and a tomatillo salsa. Some sweet and delicious watermelon and equally sweet and delicious pineapple.

lunch - 1.jpeg

• Like 4

My posts kind of fizzled out due to a loss of wifi and ongoing dental work. We still enjoyed our holiday but due to the large amount of dental work, we did not eat like we usually do on holiday. We are home to the cold and damp today after a very long travel day yesterday. Yesterday was crappy, overpriced airport food, not picture worthy. It is good to be home and in our own bed and we are having soup from the freezer tonight. We'll be going back in 6 months to a year for my husband's permanent bottom implants. Think we'll stay in Puerto Aventuras for that trip.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

My posts kind of fizzled out due to a loss of wifi and ongoing dental work.

I was wondering how things went. I hope your husband's mouth is feeling ok and that he's happy with how things have gone! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I was wondering how things went. I hope your husband's mouth is feeling ok and that he's happy with how things have gone! 

The dental work was absolutely fantastic. My husband is super happy with his new smile and ability to chew. The only restriction is no nuts for anything too sticky for the next 4 months. All the staff were truly lovely people and they even gave us a (1 hour) ride to the airport!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

The dental work was absolutely fantastic. My husband is super happy with his new smile and ability to chew. The only restriction is no nuts for anything too sticky for the next 4 months. All the staff were truly lovely people and they even gave us a (1 hour) ride to the airport!

A friend of mine is Bolivian and even though she has dental benefits in the US, she goes back to Bolivia for major dental work.  Even with airfare, the cost does not compare.

I hope everything heals well for your husband, and I am thankful you got a nice vacation.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2023 at 12:13 AM, MaryIsobel said:

Was wondering how your trip went. Glad we heard back from you. I hope your husband gets to enjoy the food as much as he did before.

Also, hoping for your husband's bottom implants' successful operation so he will not be deprived of eating Mexican food which is loved all over the world. No wonder apart from the beaches, museums, and other attractions, food is one of the things to do that shouldn't be missed according to Mexico Tourism Statistics https://gowithguide.com/blog/mexico-tourism-statistics-2023-5248

Have fun on your next trip.

Edited by CeejayB (log)