• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smith's: The Greatest Butter in the World!

davebr

In the current issue of the Rosengarten Report, David Rosengarten lists the butter from Smith creamery in Mount Hermon, LA as the best above all others. He tested over 100 different butters. The second place finishers included: Upstate Farms in Buffalo, Laiterie Le Gall in France, Paris Gourmet from an anonymous dairy, Organis Valley of Farms in Wisconsin, Cooperative isigny Sainte-Mere in France, Vermont Butter and Cheese company, and 5 more from France, England, Colorado and Plugra in Pennsylvania.

He based his results on 4 tests in which the Smith creamy scored the highest. The plain eating test. The saute test, the sauce test, and the baking test.

Needless to say I will be getting some of that!!!!

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

Fat Guy and I picked up a tub of what was called "Greek butter" at Titan Foods in Astoria, Queens a few weeks ago. Was extremely interesting. We figure it had to be some kind of cultured sheep or goat butter. Very strong and distinctive flavor. Probably not for spreading on toast, but could be very interesting on fresh pasta, incorporated into sauces, used as a cooking fat in the right context.

--

Not only is Smith's great butter, but it's not any higher priced than regular store brand butter. It comes in 2 lb. rolls, so bakers will need a scale, but they should have one anyway.

Their other dairy products are really good as well. Whole creamline milk (unhomogenized is the scientific term for the dairy phrase "creamline", 2%, great heavy cream, and apparently "soon to be at a store near you" ice cream is on the way.

I am pleased that they are getting their due. But don't forget Mauthe's Dairy in Folsom, LA (near Smith's in Mt Hermon). They make a great line of products including old school creole cream cheese.

Congratulations to Smith's. They are doing great work up in the Dairy Belt of the Gulf South.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Not only is Smith's great butter, but it's not any higher priced than regular store brand butter. It comes in 2 lb. rolls, so bakers will need a scale, but they should have one anyway.

I go through butter like it was water. Ordering information?

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Smith's had a website for a while, but I don't seem to be able to find it.

Here is an article that appeared last year concerning Smith's.

• 4 weeks later...

Their web site is : <a href="http://www.smithcreamery.com">Smith Creamery</a> but no online ordering info that I could find. If anyone knows where to find some in the Philadelphia area, I'd appreciate the info.

Their web site is : <a href="http://www.smithcreamery.com">Smith Creamery</a> but no online ordering info that I could find. If anyone knows where to find some in the Philadelphia area, I'd appreciate the info.

Use some old school technology and give them a call. They are really nice folks. It won't get you a discount, but make sure that you tell them you read about them here.

Did he taste Strauss Creamery butter (from west Marin & Sonoma counties in CA)? It is terrific.

He did and it is. He actually tested butter in a number of different categories such as spread, saute and baking. Different butters had different strengths.

The various butters can be ordered through igourmet.com.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I can't answer your question, but why would you want to when you can get absolutely fantastic fresh amish butter at the Reading Terminal Market? :wink: This was not tested by Rosengarten and is as good a butter as I've ever had.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 weeks later...
In the current issue of the Rosengarten Report, David Rosengarten lists the butter from Smith creamery in Mount Hermon, LA as the best above all others.  He tested over 100 different butters.  The second place finishers included: Upstate Farms in Buffalo, Laiterie Le Gall in France, Paris Gourmet from an anonymous dairy, Organis Valley of Farms in Wisconsin, Cooperative isigny Sainte-Mere in France, Vermont Butter and Cheese company, and 5 more from France, England, Colorado and Plugra in Pennsylvania.

He based his results on 4 tests in which the Smith creamy scored the highest.  The plain eating test.  The saute test, the sauce test, and the baking test.

Needless to say I will be getting some of that!!!!

I am only passing thru here but i spent many years in NOLA...i am currently in the Seattle area but holy COW !!!Flat out the BEST butter i have EVER had in my LIFE! is from a place here in the Pike Place Market called Beechers.

It is absolutely BEYOND WORDS!!!

They make it themselves and it puts ALL others to shame..amd i do mean ALL OF THEM!!!!

If you are ever in the area and can get to Beechers you WILL NOT be disapointed!

I buy loads of it at a time...it freezes well. I just cant be without it. it is to die for on good bread. When you taste it...you will know what i mean!

TRY IT!

Then you might enjoy this thread. One of our members, Placebo, is doing a foodblog this week and is, coincidentally, employed at Beecher's in Seattle as a cheesemaker. I don't know if his job extends to butter making, but you should ask.

Now I'm getting curious. Cook's Illustrated magazine did a butter tasting, and came up with Land O Lakes Extra Creamy as the winner. I can't seem to find that down here in south Florida (might be at Whole Paycheck, but I rarely get up that way), but what I have found is KerryGold, which is imported from Ireland, and is wonderful! I also like the canned Danish butter I see every so often; its' funky cheesieness is great on bread and toast!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Then you might enjoy this thread. One of our members, Placebo, is doing a foodblog this week and is, coincidentally, employed at Beecher's in Seattle as a cheesemaker. I don't know if his job extends to butter making, but you should ask.

Yep... I know Placebo is with Beechers. Since i live in the area i follow the pacific NW board daily. I just decided to look at the Louisiana board for a moment as i was having a true pains missing my old apartment out by the lake down the street from all the fresh caught shrimp. Not to mention i think i would sell my soul for a link of white boudin from the Best Stop. My LORD! Never had it THAT good anywhere else.

I love it up here in the NW...rain and all but there is nothing like La. food!

I love New Orleans especially.

Thanks for the post.

I finally got some Smith's butter through igourmet.com. It is fantastic. I cannot say that I have ever had better. I like the big roll too. I plan on getting more, but I have a few of Rosengarten's other butters to get through first!

Twitter - @docsconz

I finally got some Smith's butter through igourmet.com. It is fantastic. I cannot say that I have ever had better. I like the big roll too. I plan on getting  more, but I have a few of Rosengarten's other butters to get through first!

I love it. It's the only thing that I buy anymore. And I'm with you on the roll. As long as you are used to dealing with a scale (for baking) it's no big deal and a good package.

Do you think the higher rankings of American butters in America could be do to freshness?

If you did the same test in France, or England or Italy maybe you would find a local bias there too.

I love animals.

They are delicious.