• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"It's the water"

Chef Reinhart,

Thank you for taking the time to participate in this most interesting discussion.

Living in the Northeast (Philadelphia area), I have access to great bread, pizza and bagels. Friends and family who have moved out of the area complain about the lack of good bread, etc. and the explanation always given is, "It's the water." I've been told that it is the mineral content of water in the northeast that makes the difference. Is this accurate?

Along these lines, when baking at home is it best to use tap water as opposed to filtered or bottled water?

P.S. Is there any Philadelphia area pizza which would make your "Top 10"?

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Philly's my home town too and while there are many excellent pizzerias, only Tacconelli's in Fish Town would rank in the top tier. Of course, who cares when you can get great cheesesteaks instead, especially at Mama's in Bala Cynwyd (see "American Pie" for more on Mama's).

As for the water, no I don't buy it. Most of the municipal water throughout the States is fairly comparable. While most of the chlorine taste bakes out, I still prefer to use filtered water, but the minerals in most city water is hardly a difference maker. To prove this, I've made bagels all over the country and they always come out as good as NY bagels because of the fermentation method I use. This is the real difference maker, understanding fermentation. This is what separates the good from the great bakers. (PS: the flavor comes more from the wheat, not from the water.)