• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scientists find coffee really is addictive

I should point out that this study is not about caffeine being addictive but rather about habitual use of caffeine causing withdrawal symptoms. These are two entirely different phenomena, and while many addictions include withdrawal symptoms, one does not necessarily equal the other. Lots of things can cause withdrawal symptoms, from heroin to caffeine to aspirin to dietary fiber. I experience withdrawal symptoms if I don't drink enough water. Is water "addictive?"

It is noteworthy that, while the newspaper article throws around the word "addiction," the journal article does not. The study is called: "A critical review of caffeine withdrawal: empirical validation of symptoms and signs, incidence, severity, and associated features." In their conclusions, the authors write: ". . . there is sufficient empirical evidence to warrant inclusion of caffeine withdrawal as a disorder in the DSM . . ." Note that the word "addiction" is not used anywhere.

--

It is noteworthy that, while the newspaper article throws around the word "addiction," the journal article does not.  The study is called: "A critical review of caffeine withdrawal: empirical validation of symptoms and signs, incidence, severity, and associated features."  In their conclusions, the authors write: ". . . there is sufficient empirical evidence to warrant inclusion of caffeine withdrawal as a disorder in the DSM . . ."  Note that the word "addiction" is not used anywhere.

Sort of like that word game where kids sit in a circle and each whisper the same single fact in the next one's ear...

By the time the circle is finished and the fact is said out loud....voila! We have a different fact.

So much information...coming out so fast in the various media(s). And incredible how carefully one needs to read it to even start to make an attempt to understand it, isn't it.

Thanks for the reminder.

The monkey riding around on my back says it's all a filthy lie. :raz:

Now if you'll excuse me, I need another @#%#@%%$ pumpkin spice latte. :blink:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I should point out that this study is not about caffeine being addictive but rather about habitual use of caffeine causing withdrawal symptoms.  These are two entirely different phenomena, and while many addictions include withdrawal symptoms, one does not necessarily equal the other.  Lots of things can cause withdrawal symptoms, from heroin to caffeine to aspirin to dietary fiber.  I experience withdrawal symptoms if I don't drink enough water.  Is water "addictive?"

No, it's necessary for the body to function. Seems to me, if you don't get enough water, you experience not withdrawal but thirst. Is that really analogous to caffeine withdrawal? And if it is, should we talking about food withdrawal instead of starvation and oxygen withdrawal symptoms instead of anoxia?

Michael aka "Pan"

No, it's necessary for the body to function. Seems to me, if you don't get enough water, you experience not withdrawal but thirst. Is that really analogous to caffeine withdrawal? And if it is, should we talking about food withdrawal instead of starvation and oxygen withdrawal symptoms instead of anoxia?

Actually, I am talking about more water than is strictly needed for survival. Because I am a singer, I drink lots and lots of water to keep myself properly hydrated for singing. We're talking at least 2 liters between the hours of 10 and 6. My body is "used" to getting this much water, and I begin to experience tension headaches and irritability long before I cross the threshhold of "thirsty." This, I would call a withdrawal symptom.

--

i read this a couple of times. i am not sure what your point really is...i re-read the links and still didnt get your point. water or oxygen, for that matter, cannot be termed 'addictive'.

maybe this DSM-IV entry will help?

I should point out that this study is not about caffeine being addictive but rather about habitual use of caffeine causing withdrawal symptoms.  These are two entirely different phenomena, and while many addictions include withdrawal symptoms, one does not necessarily equal the other.  Lots of things can cause withdrawal symptoms, from heroin to caffeine to aspirin to dietary fiber.  I experience withdrawal symptoms if I don't drink enough water.  Is water "addictive?"

It is noteworthy that, while the newspaper article throws around the word "addiction," the journal article does not.  The study is called: "A critical review of caffeine withdrawal: empirical validation of symptoms and signs, incidence, severity, and associated features."  In their conclusions, the authors write: ". . . there is sufficient empirical evidence to warrant inclusion of caffeine withdrawal as a disorder in the DSM . . ."  Note that the word "addiction" is not used anywhere.