• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fins, scales, head, eyeballs

Dejah

Calvin Trillin (American writer) calls it Kraft Dinner.  It's an older term for it.  Possibly an East Coast thing?

I'm originally from the East Coast, and have quite a few years on Calvin Trillin (one of his daughters was a student of my daughter at Brown U.) . Perhaps I'm guilty of just not paying Kraft Macaroni and Cheese its due attention.

Edited by Gary Soup (log)

Quick search reveals the truth:

Why Canadians and old-timer Americans call it Kraft Dinner

Here's an excerpt

Kraft Dinner was introduced in Canada and the United States in 1937. It became extremely successful during World War II when most types of food, such as meat, milk, and eggs, were severely rationed. Kraft Dinner, containing only artificial ingredients, escaped these restrictions.

Canada has always been the world's largest per capita consumer of Kraft Dinner and despite being invented in America and sold by an American company it has become a part of Canadian culture.

--back on topic, I like yellowtail collar, Japanese style. I do like the eyes, but only sort of. cheeks are always very good sauteed or just steamed with the rest of the fish. There's no part of the fish I don't like except maybe the fins and jaw.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW