• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small truffle boxes

Wendy DeBord

I'm looking for small, 1 truffle each boxes that are nice but inexpensive because it's a freebie. Do any of you have a source you could reccomend?  TIA

Wendy: A couple of sources come to mind instantly: ModPac (http://www.modpac.com/) and Glerup-Revere (http://www.glerup-revere.com/). I have used both companies and tend to have had better service from ModPac, but that is probably because they are here in NY rather than in Seattle, where is where Glerup-Revere is located.

In general, Glerup-Revere offers more upscale packaging while ModPad is more modest (plain). One thing to consider is that G-R has a $75 minimum order. ModPac has a pretty generous sample program - they'll pretty much send you one of anything to take a look at.

Also, when looking at boxes, one thing to consider is the labor it takes to assemble the box. In the case of a 1-piece, all you may have to do is to unfold it as it will be glued and then folded flat. This is good. If you have to assemble a box it can take more than triple the amount of time it takes to fill it and then close it, significantly increasing labor costs. Might not mean anything when doing them in small quantities, but when you have 500 to do (as I once did - and 12 & 24-piece boxes to boot), then the additional time really adds up, especially when deadlines loom.

Finally, when looking at boxes make sure to ask about candy cups that are sized to fit the particular box. Too small does not provide enough protection, too big and the presentation looks really sloppy.

:Clay

Clay Gordon

president, pureorigin

editor/publisher www.chocophile.com

founder, New World Chocolate Society

Wendy,

Another source to consider is Gift Box Corporation (www.800giftbox.com). They are more than willing to send samples as well as a catalog if requested. I was also looking for a 1-piece box and found quite a few boxes that I am quite happy with. They also sell 3x3" and 4x4" different colored foil sheets, as well as candy cups. Happy looking.

I don't know if they still ship to the U.S. or not, but I get all mine from www.chocolat-chocolat.com They're in Montreal. They have excellent prices, expecially when you take the exchange rate into account. The boxes you're looking for aren't on their website, so you'll have to give them a call.

So far .20 cents is the least expensive box I've been able to find. Most are around .50 cents. It's harder to find a one truffle box then I would have guessed. Any other sources?

Wendy: What style of box are you looking for - or are you completely open?

Edited to add: Qualita paper has a style that might work for you. I don't see a 1-piece box on the site but I have trouble believing that it's never been asked for. Visit:

http://www.qualitapaper.com/html/Box_Qbox.htm

Edited by chocophile (log)

Clay Gordon

president, pureorigin

Unfortunately price is the biggest factor. They're looking for a box (possibly other packaging) as inexpensive as possible. Style is completely open as long as it doesn't add labor into assembling.

Thanks

Wendy, there is a Qualita Q-Box in plain white that's 1.5x1.5 inches square and 1 3/16 tall when closed. Cost is $19.62/100 (plus shipping) right in your target price range. These will work for shell molds or enrobed pieces, but maybe not "truffe nature" style pieces unless they are fairly small.

Also at the same price, silver and gold on the outside, white on the inside. Assembly is dead nuts simple and takes about 3 seconds. Plus, I am sure they have a candy cup that is perfectly sized to fit this box if you don't already have them.

They sent me a .PDF catalog page that I can forward to you separately via e-mail if you want.

Clay Gordon

president, pureorigin