• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ithaca dinner

andyabramo

taking teens that don't enjoy spending alot of time in restaurants!

Does this mean you want a casual place where you can get in and out fast? Traditional but not terribly overpriced is The Antlers - If I recall correctly it's on Rte 366 near the intersection of Rte 13, about a ten minute drive from the Cornell campus. The Commons (downtown Ithaca) has a few places like Simeon's with upscale bistro food and Benchwarmers (sports bar) with chicken wings, burgers etc. and a Thai restaurant.

Good alternative might be Valentine Cafe. It's a bit more out of the way but still within the city of Ithaca. Owner Etienne Merle once ran what was widely thought to be the best French restaurant in NY state outside of NYC (L'Auberge du Cochon Rouge) but went on to other projects many year ago. He's recently returned with a small cafe / bistro that has moderate prices and a French influence but with a focus on regoinal and local seasonal ingredients. If he's involved I think it must be pretty decent - I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Should you want to go really simple just head straight for Roma Pizza on Rte 13 / Meadow Street and then go across the street to Purity Ice Cream for dessert - that's my favorite. By the way.... right near those two places is the Ithaca farmer's market - not to be missed. Great selection of local products and there are many, many stands selling prepared food of all kinds.

In response to an inquiry about The Tower Club at Ithaca College I came across a mini-index of Ithaca dining with ratings. Keep in mind that it's all contextual - they're reviewing relatively fine dining along with pub food but of the places I've tried they seem to be pretty much on the mark.

I don't see Coyote Loco mentioned - they were a bit northeast of campus and had decent Mexican and tex-Mex food in a fun casual atmosphere but nto sure if they're still around (I moved away from Ithaca nine years ago and visit only on occasion).

I forgot about Maxie's, which is listed, and probably still features Cajun and New Orleans influenced food.

Ithaca Portal Dining Reviews

The Tower Club is open for lunch only and is operated under contract by Sodhexo-Marriot. Review indicates that it's not bad for sandwiches etc. It's really all about the view, which is the best lake view in the city of Ithaca (other than the upstairs outdoor deck at the Johnson Art Museum which runs a close second).

There's also a relatively new Mexican place near the Commons called Viva Taqueria that looks good. Many peopel swear by the Thai restaurant ont he Commons but I had such a weird experience with the hostess/owner there on my one visit that I vowed not to return and haven't (it was weird as in could have been a comedy sketch). Thai Cuisine on Meadow Street / Rte 13 used to be really, really good but has slipped.

Also.... there are some folks that serve excellent Laotian/Cambodian food (lots of noodle dishes) at the Farmer's market. Not usre if they have a restaurant (I haven't located it but think they might). Their food is worth checking out.

Joe's is a can't miss for reasonable italian that teens would enjoy. They do their version of he breadsticks and salad that olive garden does. It is a bit more touristy though.

I believe Coyote Loco was in the process of closing (or did). Its a shame, I loved that place.

Msk

Joe's is closed. Sniffle... sniffle... teary eyes. I loved that place. I have no idea what happened but they are totally out of business and the building is empty. I never got seated there without waiting at least 30 minutes for a table, even on a weeknight. I was once even told that they were, at one time, on the list of the 300 busiest restaurants in the uS (based on volume I imagine). Can't imagine what caused their demise but I miss them.

The North Star dining hall at Robert Purcell, Cornell, is worth a thought, esp. with teens; one price, huge number of choices: sushi, pizza, hot sandwiches, 'mexican, pastries, etc. interesting company too! Convenient parking, and easy access w/o going through CU or the city of Ithaca

Can't imagine what caused their demise but I miss them.

You took the words right out of my mouth. It's so hard to understand how a place that was so popular could suddenly disappear. I was very sad to see the empty space on my last visit.

If I were traveling to Ithaca with a few teenagers, I think I'd keep it REALLY simple and get pizza at The Nines.

Is The Chariot still open? Probably ten of the pounds I gained while a student (argh) can be attributed to their corn fritters and pizza during my four years in Ithaca. Oh, and the beer didn't help.