• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Chocolate Recipes

rajsuman

Any way to get chocolate in an Indian dish? I was thinking maybe something akin to a molé dish. Not authentic, of course...but trying to keep to the thread here ;)

Hi Kathy,

I haven't tried any of these myself, but thought you might want to have a look:

Coconut Chocolate Rolls

Chocolate Burfee

Chocolate Samosa. //Scroll down to page 10

When you said molé, it occured to me that perhaps you could add some dark chocolate to rajma - not sure if it'll work though. Episure, any thoughts?

Let me know how it goes. :smile:

Suman

Edited by rajsuman (log)

When you said molé, it occured to me that perhaps you could add some dark chocolate to rajma - not sure if it'll work though. Episure, any thoughts?

Let me know how it goes. :smile:

Suman

Suman,

Apart from Sweets and Mithais, Chocolate has little role in Indian cuisine.

Kathy, if you are somewhat adept at cooking, you might want to try adding a miniscule quantity of chocolate into a Biryani's meat. I do this often and they will probably burn me at the stake but then I live dangerously. :laugh:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Episure,

Do you mean in the marinade? Would you add it to the chicken in the biryani? 

Suman

Oh brave Suman, you add a pinch into the marinade or the chicken+gravy after it is ready, not in the rice. You must add only so much to give it that mystery flavour and elicit responses like " Ummmm... there is something different in this." If you add more than the maximal extremum amount you will get responses like " Yuuck ! This has chocolate, Suman what's wrong with you"

You can also use coffee but you must never ever ask your dining guests to check egullet. :laugh:

It may be very wrong, but chocolate burfi is awfully good.... or with a marble of chocolate running through it with the rest plain or slightly cardamom flavoured.

and on another thread some one mentioned chai wallas putting drinking chocolate into spiced chai. that sounds good to me. but then, chocolate covered newspaper sounds good to me.

On a very weird note i have a box of cheap tea masala that has too much anise for me to like it in tea, but it makes an excellent spicy hot choclate.

It may be very wrong, but chocolate burfi is awfully good.... or with a marble of chocolate running through it with the rest plain or slightly cardamom flavoured.

and on another thread some one mentioned chai wallas putting drinking chocolate into spiced chai. that sounds good to me. but then, chocolate covered newspaper sounds good to me.

On a very weird note i have a box of cheap tea masala that has too much anise for me to like it in tea, but it makes an excellent spicy hot choclate.

Chocolate Soan Papdi! :wub:

I made chocolate samosas once. I cant remember the real name for them. But the filling I made from some recipie for quick burfee using powdered milk. the chocolate made a good combination... powdered milk barfi is kind of icky to me usualy, but with strong choclate it didnt matter. I made the dough very buttery, and fried them very slowly so the crust was crunchy hard and more like a fried pastry than a smaosa crust. then i dipped them in sugar syryp just enough to glaze them in a white glaze that didnt soak in and make the crust soggy.

re chocolate in mole and biryani meat marinade, if you deconstuct mole you get

a chili + chili seed masala

a garam masala + sesame

a fried onion-garlic gravy

a catalan/arab thickener of fried bread and nuts, with fried plantains added in mexico.

Some of these, including nuts, fit into a qorma-kaliyah meat preparation, which is what the meat half of biryani basically is.

So, if chocolate+ cinnamom +almond [the mexican drinking chocolate] fit in well with mole, why should it not equally complement the biriyani base?

One is told that the Aztecs enjoyed their chocolatl as a hot beverage, both regarding temperature, and the admixture of red chile pastes. It is only in its later European redaction has chocolate been relegated exclusively to the sweet.

I have found many Europeans/Americans taken aback by the presence of cloves, cinnamon, cardamom in savory dishes as these primarily signal 'dessert' in their taste memory;likewise, it was years before i could tolerate the heavy-handed use of cinnamon in sweet breads, pastries, pies etc.

Edited by v. gautam (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Chocolate chai...Was'nt sure about this but quite good.

I have added a little bit of cocoa to gravies where i would have used kasoori methi instead and it provides a slightly bitter flavour in the background..

This is one bongs are going to kill me for....mini chocolate chips stuffed in a rasgulla.....served slightly warm so the chocolate oozes out.