• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Two for <$20

Jean Brislance

Two from the weekend...

2001 Chateau La Dournie “Elise” Saint-Chinian - Had on Saturday with some braised lamb shanks. Deep dark red in color. Nose is really interesting. It seems soft and powdery, with aromas of black cherry, dark dried fruit, chocolate, and smoke. The flavors also show a very smoky quality, with some red berry, dark fruit, chocolate, spice. Medium-bodied, with a finish that is flavorful, but also a little quick. There is some noticeable heat on the finish as well. The tannins are fine, but they also show some firmness. An OK wine. It tasted good, and the nose was really quite nice, but I would have liked to have seen some more with the finish. Around $18.

2002 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Kabinett - Extremely pale color, light golden. Nose is bright and lively, with tropical fruit, stone, and floral notes. Initially quite explosive on the palate, with lots of pretty fruit. There is some initial sweetness up front with quite a bit of pineapple, along with crisp green apple, a little honey, and a subtle floral and mineral quality. The flavors seem very compact and hit you right away when you take a sip. They really linger, and then fade into a nice and clean finish with good acidity. I have little experience with German Riesling, but I thought this was outstanding. A really nice value at $17. This makes me want to explore German wines more.

Jean