• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Salmon Cheesecake?

Sam Salmon

I have a lot-I mean a lot-of Coho Lox in the freezer-one of the benefits of being a Sportfisherman here in BC-it's been a fabulous season and isn't over yet.

So I'm thinking of doing a Smoked Salmon Cheesecake for a friend's upcoming B-Day.

I need Smoked Salmon Cheesecake recipes Please.

What I don't need are links to google-that bottomless pit of marginal info-but real recipes that have worked for you in the past.

Any/all relevant info/comment/opinion much appreciated.

TIA

Sam Salmon

Vancouver BC

I don't know how many people here will have made a smoked salmon cheesecake. Tell you what, why don't you send some salmon to some of our pastry chefs and me? We'll work on the cheesecake for you and then post the recipe. :smile:

p.s. try posting in the Pastry Forum, they made not have made it in the past, but they could guide you.

I would say take a normal cheesecake recipe and eliminate almost all of the sugar. I would imagine that a graham cracker crust would still be good with the salmon, but you could add something like dill into the crust for a nice touch. I would just put the cream cheese and salmon in a blender and spin it until it is really smooth and pink. You could also make a caper, red onion, and dill salsa for it...that sounds nice.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

A Macadamia nut/dill crust sounds like it would be really tasty.

The caper salsa sounds great too, I might have to make one of these.

Some chives might be really nice as well, maybe a chive/sour cream thing on top....

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Consider something similar to Chef David Burke's famous cheesecake lollipops. I remember not too long ago he was featured on FTV and he explained how he made his smoked salmon ones. I believe he combined the salmon, cream cheese and lemon juice and smoked salmon into a food processor. There may have been another ingredient... sorry I didn't pay close attention. He then suggested the lollipops could be garnished with chopped dill or chives attractively pressed on to the outside.

Check out his website: http://www.gourmetpops.com for added inspiration.