• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you like your Falafel?

How do I like my falafel?  On the street, half-cut, in Halifax <sigh>.  Fresh pita from Fancy Lebanese Bakery, decent falafel from any number of places, nice garlicy tahini, some of that "Israeli salad" (I never heard it called that, but that's what it is), some pickles, and of course it has to sit on top of a ridiculous quantity of local craft brew from the Granite Brewery or Propellor Brewery.  And I have to have it down by the waterfront, somewhere near the Maritime Museum.

Now I'm gonna cry.  I'm so f*g homesick...

What's Israeli sallad? How come the israelis has incorporated falafel so much to their dining, they seem so crazy about it.

How do I like my falafel?  On the street, half-cut, in Halifax <sigh>.  Fresh pita from Fancy Lebanese Bakery, decent falafel from any number of places, nice garlicy tahini, some of that "Israeli salad" (I never heard it called that, but that's what it is), some pickles, and of course it has to sit on top of a ridiculous quantity of local craft brew from the Granite Brewery or Propellor Brewery.  And I have to have it down by the waterfront, somewhere near the Maritime Museum.

Now I'm gonna cry.  I'm so f*g homesick...

What's Israeli sallad? How come the israelis has incorporated falafel so much to their dining, they seem so crazy about it.

Well, I guess the short answer is: Falafel is a middle-eastern food, Israel is in the middle-east, it (falafel) is very tasty, so it is very popular in Israel.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Well, I guess the short answer is: Falafel is a middle-eastern food, Israel is in the middle-east, it (falafel) is very tasty, so it is very popular in Israel.

I'll also add that being such a small country, there is not that much farm land and what there is can't all be given over to grazing animals. It makes sense for them to embrace this vegetarian alternative. You can find falafel stands, bereke (sp?) bakeries all over the place .... and for some reason Turkey... lots and lots of turkey schnitzel (same idea - you can have a lot of turkeys on a farm without turning over a lot of land to them)

Israeli Salad is a mix of chopped vegetables, some acid and often parsley - though it varies. I makes it with cucumber, tomato, red onion, garlic, lemon juice or vinegar, a little olive or canola oil, salt, pepper and parsley if I have it.

Edited by Pam R (log)