• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Famous Dave's

LJC

I have not seen any threads on them and I have never been but I was just invited to a meeting at Famous Dave’s on Rt. 22 in Mountainside. I am neither here nor there in terms of the meeting so if the food is good I'll go but if not I won't schlep all the way out there from the city. What do you think?

We've been to the Famous Dave's in New Brunswick several times and, despite the fact that it's a chain, we really like the barbecued ribs. They're very tasty, and there are several different sauces on the table for enhancement. We've tried all the sides, and all are o.k. I can live without the corn muffin that comes with the platters. As for dessert, we shared one once. I think it was some ice cream concoction which turned out to be huge and not very appealing.

I have been there quite a few times and really enjoy it. It's more of a mid-western bbq, so no sweet tea. Get the regular Ribs and not the back backs. They have different types of sauces to put on top and the food comes out in these big trays. I like the cole slaw and the corn bread. I think the Large rib dinner is around $15.00. The prices are reasonable. They also have paper towel rolls on the table like hooters.

I usually get a mixed platter with ribs and pulled pork. It's on the way home from work on Route 22 so sometimes we will plan to meet there. Service is typically good from whatever college kid they have working there that week.

They also have a bar and take out section.

I've been to one in MD. It's the only BBQ chain I've yet to try that I found to be acceptable. We had two big sampler platters with sides that fed eight hungry people quite nicely for about $100. I recall the chicken as being especially good and the sides also pretty good. I'll reserve judegment on the ribs as I have an inherent prejudice against restaurant ribs, whcih I generally find not to be too fatty and not truly slow cooked/smoked.

I wouldn't go out of my way to eat at one but it is good for a chain and also a good value.

I think Famous Dave's is good for a chain, I haven't gotten anything I disliked, and for some reason the waiters and waitresses are particularly courteous and careful. The prices are very reasonable. This is the one in New Brunswick, I haven't been to others.

LJC, I'd definitely give it a shot. I agree that it's more along the line of midwestern barbecue. It's not like the stuff you find down south at all. My buddies and I from North Carolina think it's certainly among the better barbeque you can find in NJ, and have enjoyed the one in Mountainside on several occasions. That being said, my only caveat would be that if you are a true southern-BBQ snob, it may not be your cup of tea. I would say that a visit is worthwhile, though, as a number of people I know enojy their food.

It was pretty good. Overall I thought the highlights were the pulled pork and the chicken but I didn't think anything was bad. It's not like I would make a special trip from the city but I certainly wouldn't thumb my nose at it.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I was there for dinner Sunday night and I have to echo everyone else's thoughts - it was good, but not outstanding.

I had the ribs, the brisket, sides of baked beans and cole slaw. It also came with mushy corn on the cob and a corn muffin.

Service was friendly.

And the price was right. It was $13.79 before tax and tip for the above, if I recall correctly.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne