• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craving a great 3.5# lobster near West Orange

ejebud

I know, I know, Why look here for good Lobster when a short car ride south will yield a fine catch? Cuz it just me and the little woman while the kids are looked after by the babysitter. Lobster dinner plus 8 hours babysitting = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I would normally cook lobsters my self but I cooked last night and I want a night out. there's got to be a place down neck that steams lobsters rather than boils 'em.

Thanks for your recomendations.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

If you are willing to drive The Park, Park Ridge has large lobsters. Call and ask what they have available and if they will steam it for you.

201-930-1300.

Other options would be to check with the Strip House in Livingston, Ruth Chris in Parsippany or Morton's in Hackensack.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

you may want to try Don Pepe in pine brook. Its about 15 min west of west orange. They are spanish/portuguese restaurant and they usually carry large lobsters. up to 5 lbs sometimes. Just take 280 w to exit 1. follow that across rt 46.

Make a right at the T. This is old bloomfield ave. THey are about a half mile up the

road on the right. They will ask you if you like your lobster steamed or broiled

tom

ps bring an appetite. They give you alot of food. They also have take out if you cant dine there.

Tom, you took the words out of my mouth. Don Pepe is the best value for lobsters. They do a great job with their surf and turf too...

You will never finish all the food...unless you are that little guy who keeps winning the Nathans Hot Dog eating contest :biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

About a 30-minute ride from you is Meson Madrid, in Palisades Park, just about a mile from the GW bridge. They have 3- pound lobsters and 3- pound steaks. (And an ambulance waiting outside! :biggrin: )

My only hesitation about this size lobster is that I believe in general the smaller lobsters tend to be much moister and tastier than the giant size ones; you might do better with 2 or three 1 pounders...

Check their Web Site

Meson Madrid

343 Bergen Blvd

Palisades Park

201-947-1038

About a 30-minute ride from you is Meson Madrid, in Palisades Park, just about a mile from the GW bridge. They have 3- pound lobsters and 3- pound steaks. (And an ambulance waiting outside! :biggrin: )

My only hesitation about this size lobster is that I believe in general the smaller lobsters tend to be much moister and tastier than the giant size ones; you might do better with 2 or three 1 pounders...

Check their Web Site

Meson Madrid

343 Bergen Blvd

Palisades Park

201-947-1038

I won't go back to Meson Madrid personally because they overcook stuff to hell and there are better Spanish places in Bergen and Hudson County, let alone Ironbound.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Iberia in Newark. Last week I saw a 5 pounder on display on their bar.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Iberia has an ad in the NJ section of the Sunday NY times today, advertising 4-12 pound lobsters. And they then say "NO SHARING" :laugh:

I won't go back to Meson Madrid personally because they overcook stuff to hell and there are better Spanish places in Bergen and Hudson County, let alone Ironbound.

I agree, and I wouldn't go to MM either, but this person has this craving for giant lobster, so I thought of MM. I also think smaller lobsters taste much better, and a seafood place is probably a better choice than a Spanish resto for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Large lobsters taste just as good as small lobsters. In fact they are more tender, especially in the tail, because they just sit in one spot most of the time, rather than "exercising" like smaller ones. However most of the time they are overcooked. I had a 4 lber this weekend that cooked up perfectly in 11 minutes.

Large lobsters taste just as good as small lobsters.  In fact they are more tender, especially in the tail, because they just sit in one spot most of the time, rather than "exercising" like smaller ones.  However most of the time they are overcooked.  I had a 4 lber this weekend that cooked up perfectly in 11 minutes.