• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problems with Medrich's Chocolate Ice Cream

merstar

Thanks, Ted. That's good to know about the El Rey - I never cared for any of their chocolates when I tasted them out of hand, so luckily I never worked with them. Now as far as Scharffen Berger is concerned, I love the taste of their bittersweet chocolate, so I'll continue to use it, but either melt it first or use a stick blender. I've actually never had any problems melting it over a double boiler - the only problem I had was in this case, ie, trying to melt it with the hot cream with too little liquid to begin with.

By the way, I made the Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream again, but used unsweetened chocolate, which I melted first. It came out great. Next time I'll try the SB bittersweet again, and hopefully will have a stick blender to use by then!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.